"Tuning" a Water Softener

Hi there. I just installed a new 32K water softener with a Fleck 5600 Econominder demand valve. It has the hardness and "Person" wheels. I tested my water and found it to have 15 gpm hardness and 1 ppm iron. The softener's instructions suggested to multiply the iron ppm x 4 and add it to the hardness and set the dials accordingly (19 vs. 4 people in house which gives about 950 gallons), but the Fleck manual mentions nothing beyond setting the hardness. Am I being too generous with the salt?

Also, is there an issue having a sediment filter ahead of the w/s as long as it's maintained?

Thanks for reading.

Reply to
Peder

Peder wrote in news:Xns964C921C148BDxxx@216.196.97.131:

Oh, and it's currently set for 8.5# salt, if that's important. Thanks again.

Reply to
Peder