Tumble dryer has stopped spinning.

Hi there, my tumble dryer is old and I have replaced the thermostat a few times and that's always kept it going. The other night I smelt a burning smell like that of rubber burning and I noticed that the dryer had stopped spinning but was still heating up. I took the back cover off and on the bottom left hand corner there is a sort of wheel with vents in it (it spins very fast when working) and I gave that a turn just by manually pushing it a few times and the machine started working again without any burning smell. The thing is I've had to do that a few times now as the machine stops spinning intermittently. I'm guessing it might be the rubber band that makes the basket spin? I don't know how to get at it though. I can't see where the screws come off so I can see where the rubber band is. Do you think it would be the rubber band? I don't know why pushing the wheel at the back makes it work. It's like it's stuck or something.

The machine is a Creda Concorde 311. It's a small compact tumble dryer not the normal size kind.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
gooshto

Although it might be possible to adjust the belt tension, the fact that you smelled burning most likely means that the contact surface has now become glossy. You need to replace it. Get on the phone to some appliance parts dealers. Some of them carry inexpensive repair books for specific models. You would be wise to have such a book before attempting the repair, since the procedure is not obvious to you.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Hi there, thanks for the advice. I can't find a manual for it but I unplugged it and took out ever y single screw holding it all together and I still can't manage to pull the front of the machine off the inside of it so I can see inside and locate the belt. What could possibly be holding it together after all the screws have been taken out?

Reply to
gooshto

I replaced the belt on my GE dryer many years ago. I seem to recall removing only the top and the back, and then lifting the drum out. If I were you, I'd stop fiddling until a few more people respond here. Otherwise, you might lose track of all those screws.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom