Tub repair

Have a client that has a 30 year old, corner tub unit that can not be replaced without removing 1/2 the bathroom, this was obviously installed and then the contractor closed all of the doors and such around that opening. Anyway the tub is a dark brown plastic tub (what ever it's called) and is in great shape except for the floor, I'm wondering if there is anyway to restore the brown? Is there some way to buff out the scratches and resurface? I was wondering if buffing it with was would help restore the look? Any ideas?
The refinish guys actually paint it. Can last for several years but will then probably peel though we moved before we had any peeling. There are other guys who install another layer of plastic on top and can cover all the tile with a solid wall. Looks nice in showroom but I have no idea how it looks in real life.

Since the tub is 30 years old I don't think it's smart adding a lot of money to this project, I honestly think the whole bathroom needs to be re-done but I don't have the time for such a big project right now and my client always wants me to do all of the work. It's for one of my neighbours, a lady who lives in a 6000 SQF house all by herself, five full bathrooms, four fireplaces etc etc. She was hoping that just some small cosmetic work would help the house.... The house is in great shape but outdated. I just finished retiming several rooms at her request but she refused to replace any of the old cheap flat brown doors or consider painting them. So nice white trim, dark brown doors, pink walls. ANYONE ELSE LAUGHING?
Bless her heart
"HotRod" wrote

Never be concerned about saving a customer money at your expense. Never mix business with pleasure. I'm in no way implying not to do charity work. But your "client" doesn't sound as if she should be concerned about repairing/remodeling the correct way. You must like headaches and/or really don't do this for a living. You must learn to tell potential clients you want no part of a bandaid fix, or you will be married to the bandaid from here on out.

if it's truly plastic, it could be buffed out back to a high gloss. however, did they even install plastic tubs 30 years ago? sure it's not a porcelain tub?
I know for sure it's not porcelain, there is way to much give in the tub surround. The tub and shower is a corner unit covering 5' in each direction and is all one piece, I'm almost positive it's not fibreglass just because the shower part is has some give to it.
1) I do not do this for a living. 2) This actually pays better than what I do for a living. 3) I have a lot of clients like this ad as long as they understand what they are getting into the decision is theirs to make, NOT mine. They pay very well and are very friendly, why would I turn that work down.
Found out the tub is a 25 year old Showerlux, chocolate brown. I think I may try using a 1500 grit wet sanding paper on it and then buffing out the remainder. Still not sure what the exact material is though.
On 1/13/2005 8:59 AM US(ET), HotRod took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

gel coat. The Showerlux site says that they are made from a combination of fiberglass (for strength) and Lucite acrylic. It doesn't say what they used 25 years ago. http://www.showerlux.uk.com/rdas/papp.asp?cmd=COFABT
--
Bill

I've emailed showerlux to see if they can tell me what to do, I'd replace the unit if it didn't involve demoing the whole bathroom to get a new one in.

This site has what you are looking for:
www.tubgirl.com