Trumpet valve oil household substitute (will 3-in-1 household oil work)?

Page 2 of 2

You went to the store to get glycerin, but you couldn't pick up some sewing machine oil while you were there???
I know you said the music store was closed, but what about the one in the next town over? There's a music store in every little bum-f town in America.
You know, if your kid actually PRACTICED and maintained the damn thing like he is supposed to, the valves wouldn't have seized up.

Don't have anything to add, but I played French Horn as a kid in the 50's. I still have half a bottle of valve oil sitting on the shelf. (I hate to throw stuff out.) For those who don't know about this stuff, it's amazingly thin; I think it makes water look viscous.
Art
sam bruno wrote:

Use anything that's handy (nose lube, chicken fat, axle grease, etc.). When you can get the right stuff, clean out the replacement. Trumpet players know how to clean their instrument.

Trumpet oil smelled like a silicone oil to me, very thin. In a pinch I would use crc 2-36, or lesser wd-40
The trouble is, I don't know what's going to happen with moisture.
Greg
replying to sam bruno, Colton furlong wrote: What kind of essential oil
On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 2:44:06 PM UTC-4, Colton furlong wrote:

this thread is from 1/10/12 by now the kid has graduated from high school.
its funny google is going into the self drive car business, but isnt able to have decent software here:(