Trivia question old Maytag washing machine

Have a model A606 Maytag washing machine, with a two part outer tub. While trying to shotgun a leak, I replaced the rubber triangular gasket that is held in place by a very large metal band.

I've since fixed the leak (it was the tub seal), but should have looked closer at the how the triangle gasket came out. There's a groove on one side of the gasket. Anyone know which side of things the groove should go? Should I be using adhesive, or is this an interference fit, catching the lip of the bottom tub with the metal band?

Also, any trick to adjusting the height of the top section? If you push it all the way down, which seems the intuitive thing to do, it will drag on the top of the in inner tub, preventing it from spinning. If you pull the upper section up too high, there doesn't seem to be enough interference between tub sections to prevent leaking. Maytag did most everything right on this model, but why they put the split so low, where there's water, is beyond me.

Thanks,

Mike Palmer < Excellence in Ergonomics

Reply to
MikeremlaP

Hi Mike,

It's been a few years, but I'm almost certain the groove goes up against the tub...I believe the lip on the lower half of the outer tub fits into the groove on the rubber ring. The metal retaining ring doesn't actually touch the tub at all. It just compresses the rubber sealing ring and insures a leakproof seal. No adhesive is necessary but be sure to clean the sealing surfaces first to prevent leakage. As far as adjusting the height...you want the gap between the inner and outer tubs to be as narrow as possible without actually touching (helps keep articles of clothing from going over the top or getting trapped in there). You'll have to simulate spin wobble by grabbing the agitator and moving it around to be sure the inner and outer tubs don't touch. Don't worry too much about getting the height "perfect"...it isn't THAT critical as long as nothing rubs. Congrats on the tub seal job. That's probably the most involved procedure short of a transmission rebuild you cna undertake on those old Maytags. Sounds like you'll be keeping this one for a long time to come. They're great machines!

Hope this helps Brad in Bend OR

Reply to
Brad Behm