MayTag Performa Washing Machine

I have just noticed something when doing a load of laundry. The washing machine tub (itself) is not moving at all. The agitator is working, but I remember seeing the tub also move / rotate, or am I imagining this?
If not, and the tub should also move while the machine is running the wash cycle, what could be some of the reasons that has caused the problem? is the tub geared via a transmission, or what?
I am not certain, but I think that the gentle/normal speed selection is also not working.
Any suggestions on troubleshooting this problem will be appreciated. This machine is not old; purchased around September Labor Day of year 2002.
Thanks.
Vince Long Island, NY
Vince wrote:

Hi,
The wash tub should not be moving on this style of an washer when the washer is agitating.
On 20 Sep 2005 15:39:28 -0700, "Appliance Repair Aid"

Hi Jeff:
Thank you for your information, which is the best news for me to hear. Perhaps I am recalling operation of the old Westinghouse (1974 era) washing machine, because I have convinced myself that the tub was rotating during the wash cycle.
I have been to http://www.applianceaid.com/ on several brief occassions. Thanks for that also and regards.
~Vince~
Glad we could help! :)
Oops! The Maytag Performa washing machine Model number is PAV3240AWW.