Triangle math problem

Page 1 of 2
It's been way too many years since I was in a math class and need help.
If I have a triangle that has one side at 39ft, the 2nd side is 37 ft. and they meet at a right angle, how long is the third side? Many thanks!
h2 = a2 + b2 h2 =(39*39)+(37*37) h2 = 1521+1369 h2 (90 h S.758 feet

......53.759 feet, if the squaw on the hippopotamous equals the sons of the squaws on the other two hides.

Nick

53ft 9in
Here's where that came from:
a squared + b squared = c squared (Pythagorean theorem)
39 squared + 37 squared = c squared 1521 + 1369 = c squared = 2890 c = square root (2890) = 53.759
--
Regards,
For a right triangle, the value of the hypotenuse is the square root of the sum of the two sides.

the
53.75872ft....I get the same results with my cad system.
Still working on that seven sided gazebo though--those darned rafters, you know.....
--
SVL

| > For a right triangle, the value of the hypotenuse is the square root of | the | > sum of the two sides. | > | > 37 sq = 1369 | > 39 sq = 1521 | > sum is 2890 | > sq root of 2890 - 53.75872 | > | > You can do the calcs with the calculater included in the Windows | > accessories, or just open up a new Excel spreadsheet and let it do the | > calculations. I normally do this type of calculation in an excel | > spreadsheet because I can track each item or make changes as necessary. | > Excel can be just a nice, visual calculator. | > | | 53.75872ft....I get the same results with my cad system. | | Still working on that seven sided gazebo though--those darned rafters, you | know..... | | -- | | SVL |
CAD system to solve a simple Pythagorean theorem?? hahaha.. it's a little overkill, isn't?
It's the square root of both sides squared, ?= sqrt of side one squared + side two squared. Its called the Pythagorean Theorem a2 + b2 = c2 . You need to take the square root of c2 to get c
In your case 53.75.

1500th reply, w00tness!
We all know about Pythagoras and his famous theorem, but did you know that the same principle was discovered in what is now America? Centuries ago, an explorer found himself in an Indian village. He taught the people there various things about his culture, and in turn learned many things about theirs. But he was perplexed by one thing - the three wives of the village's chief. One was sitting on a buffalo hide, and wore very plain clothes and little jewelry, as did the second, who also sat on a buffalo hide. But, next to them, there was a woman sitting up high on the carcass of a hippopotomus, and she had nothing but the finest clothing, jewelry, respect, et cetera. The explorer asked the chief why she was held in much higher regard than the others, and the chief replied, "Don't you know anything about math? The sum of the squaws of the two hides is equal to the squaw of the hippopotomus!"
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
That'll be enough of that. We can't have everybody agreeing on something in this forum!
Harry K
39 x 39 = 1521 37 x 37 = 1369 Total = 2890 Square root of 2890 = 53.76 ft

On a calculator, 39, X, =, M+, 37, X, =, M+,MR, square root key. Learn it. It is easy, and you will use it often.
Steve

You'll get some good, and some weak replies. This is 2005, so you are saved form this bother. Get a simple freeware or shareware CAD program and draw the thing; no calculation needed. I swear by DeltaCad, and you can download a trial run. "Dimension" one point to another and you are given the result on the drawing. I know a ton of old techniques for calculating and drawing, and I use the CAD program to save time and effort ...or can switch to pen and paper if necessary.
Thanks to all of you! Even the mormon for the groaner! The last time I had to know the square of something, I calculated it on my sliderule. Thanks again

a + b = c 39 + 37 = c 1521 + 1369 = c 2890 = c v 2890 = 53.758720222862448643981190255356'
53.758720222862448643981190255356'
LMAO
The OP gave significant figures in feet. Any answer more precise than 53ft-9in is overkill. In fact 54feet is adequate given the accuracy of the original values.
(this was for the poster who didn't like everyone agreeing)

square root of ("39" squared + "37" squared) = 53 feet, 9 inches

Not necessarily. When I was calculating the diagonal to square up our 40'x40' foundation forms, I came up with 56 feet, 6-3/4 inches. I'm sure the 3/4" was a bit more accurate than I needed to be over that distance, but I sure wouldn't have wanted to round that off to 57 feet.
Anthony
PipeDown wrote:

Give or take a yoctofoot.
--