Tree roots in drain pipes - persistent problem?

Page 2 of 2

for me with my rock salt, i turned a disaster to a cheap maintence issue.
the only trouble is home resale, then it will be a big issue
although the head of the sewer company explained to me they are replacing the sewer plant, because in 1950 the home builder ran one connection to the sanitary sewer into a gravel bed under the house so all basements will be dry.
that explained the connection to no where with heavy roots coming out.
i had the line camered, and have a video tape.......
my line runs under a wall, under a driveway drain, and is bad all under the house.
just emptying EVERYTHING from the basement and garage to do the work and install a interior french drain, will be a killer
On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 15:39:45 -0800 (PST), Gas Bag

Back on the farm long ago my father used copper nails driven into the base of the offending tree.
On Feb 9, 11:34�pm, farm hand ed wrote:

a buddy tried that, accompished nothing.
besides its way better easier and cheaper to cut down a living tree, than a dying one........
when a tree root gets in a line water is entering the line, in heavy rains our local sewer plant gets flooded out........ so its being replaced
On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 20:34:28 -0800, farm hand ed wrote:

Back in the day; my fore fathers traded mules along the river. Cypress trees gave shade.
Oren --
4ax.com:

Mine were into chariot races.
g'day gas bag,
not sure there is anything that could be pt down the drain that would be assured of working, one bloke i heard used to tip a bottle of glypho down but never ever herd if it worked, most poisons need to be applied to the leaves, ther are tree killer poisons that get applied into holes bored in the trunk, they may work but might be very expensive experiment.
and as has been said the tree may become unstable and fall and do damage.
have you identifyed which tree(s) are doing the harm? the worst culprits are ficus (anywhere within 40 meters of the drain) mango's, willows those types but any tree too close could do it?
so it sounds like you have older type pipes caly pipes they are the easiest joints for roots to get through, if you ahve modern poly pipes and they are glued corectly then roots almost can't get in, so maybe you might need to replace those pipes?
or put in a root barrier between the offending trees and the pipes?
or remove the trees ok if they are you trees all you need do is make the decision if they are neighbour or street trees then that is a whole 'nother story.
for me as most of the above could be a hassle in various forms i'd cut to the chase and replace the pipes.
On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 15:39:45 -0800 (PST), Gas Bag
snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,
len & bev
http://www.lensgarden.com.au /

Yes - it's called a "chain saw".