tree maintenance terminology.

What is a term for a specific kind of tree maintenance, cutting down the tree [when it is dangerous]? I'd like to use standard terminology.

I seem to think I want to say "tree trimming and tree felling", or in another situation, just "tree felling".

Those seem to be the right words, but I don't remember hearing them like that. :)

I need to write a lawyer for a property association, and I'd like to start with the right words and use them consistently.

Thanks.

Reply to
mm

i'm pretty sure felling is the proper term you're looking for. "fell a tree" or "tree felling".

Reply to
skeeter

Dangerous trees are referred in the industry as "hazard trees". Cutting down a tree is called "felling". Trimming would be "pruning" or "tree trimming".

So far as writing to a lawyer (or anyone). Basically you want to communicate what you are intending to say. A good way to do this is to not use acronyms or technical language, but to use common language which most people would understand - language like they would use in a newspaper.

Also to be more clear about what you are saying, assume the reader of your letter knows nothing about what you are writing about. So if you use a term like "hazard tree", instead include an additional description of the term after using it like this: "hazard tree" (a tree which poses danger to people or property). Or instead of just "felling", say "felling" (cutting down the tree). Then you are using the industry term and common language as well. The reader of your letter will be sure to understand what you are trying to communicate!

Here is information on hazard trees (trees which pose a danger to people or property)...

Bill

I agree....best to clearly describe what you mean. As for "tree felling", that makes me think the tree is taken down in one piece. "Tree removal" is far more familiar to me; you can add details. Large trees are taken down in pieces, larger limbs cut off first, then the main trunk in sections probably.

Reply to
norminn

norminn

Right. Tell them what you're going to tell them, tell them, then tell them what you told them.

Again correct. Where ambiguity is possible, perhaps a synonym, as in: "I need somebody to adios the tree!"

Reply to
HeyBub

Thanks, all. (Details of the situation would be boring.)

Reply to
mm