Tractor Bogs when cutting grass

I have an 8 year old Craftsman tractor with 46" deck and 20hp Kohler engine.
Last summer it started bogging on and off when the cutter was engaged. This year it can't seem to keep the rpm up at all. I'm not talking about excessively long or wet grass. It used to cut this grass just fine.
The engine runs fine when either the cutter is not engaged or it is engaged and not cutting through any significant amount of grass.
The deck of the mower spins free and smooth (bearing and pullies are fine) and the blades are sharp.
I've recently replaced the plugs, air filter, oil, oil filter, and a new fuel filter is on the way.
I'm considering getting a carb rebuild kit but not sure if this will help condisering the engine runs fine when not cutting.
Deja,
How tall is the grass? How often do you mow? In tall grass how fast do you mow? There's nothing in your post that suggests a carb or a mower problem.
Dave M.
deja wrote:

Check the compression.
--
Tony Sivori

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Tony Sivori) says...

Yeah, it may need a valve job.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
snipped-for-privacy@homerlex.mailshell.com wrote:

I did not see any mention of sharpening those blades? You may need a compression test to determine what condition the motor is in. I would not be too hopeful about a car rebuild, but I sure can't say it could not work.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
I would also check and possibly adjust the governor

In all ACTUALITY, it sounds like the carb is lean. Try adjusting the main jet a quarter turn to the rich. (counterclockwise). If it's got a convention ignition (points, condenser, coil) you may need a points adjustment.
--
Steve Barker

< snipped-for-privacy@homerlex.mailshell.com> wrote in message
On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 09:09:31 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@homerlex.mailshell.com wrote:

Does it act this way if you loosen the gas cap a bit?
I had a 18 HP Craftsman and it would *bog down* going up the steep slope in the front yard. Unscrewed the cap a little and it stopped. Cleared the cap vent.
YMMV.

-- Oren
Thanks for the replies guys. I got a leakdown tester. As I pulled the plug to test the second head I saw what the problem was. That plug still looked brand new. I pulled the cover off the engine and there was a dead mouse and a chewed wire. I was running on 1 cylinder. I just ordered a new ignition moduled and I assume all will be well once again :-)
Thanks again.
On Jun 3, 12:09 pm, snipped-for-privacy@homerlex.mailshell.com wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 19:47:29 -0700, deja wrote:

Yeeeeps! That's a great story!
snipped-for-privacy@homerlex.mailshell.com wrote:

Put a cat in your storage shed.