Touching Up Kitchen Cabinets

I have Scheinrich Kitchen Cabinets (don't know it this was a well known brand at one time or not--I am pretty sure they are hardwood, but that is all I know about the wood type)) and generally they are in pretty respectable shape. However, there are some scratches in various places, and a couple of worn out areas near the handles. I have gone to several woodcraft stores and a painting store to try to match the stain and for some reason no one can help me in getting a stain that will penetrate. I sanded one spot and then tried denatured alcohol and that didn't work because thestain didn't penetrate. All I want to do is repair the small spots. I don't want to refinish all of the cabinets because I have a 3-year-old son, and he'll just muck them up again.
I would like the deteriorated areas to look reasonably good, but I don't care if they look great. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to do repair the damaged areas without embarking on a major project? Whether any solution involves staining or not, I don't care.
Thanks,
JD
<< Does anyone have any ideas as to how to do repair the damaged areas without embarking on a major project? >>
1) Buy a faux wood finish kit and tinker with it until you find something you like, then apply it to the affected areas. 2) Take some parenting classes and learn how to civilize the errant 3 year old.
3) After the young 'un accepts the fact that he is not in charge, go after the cabinet refinishing as a major project with his help. Be persistant, it takes time. You'll both be better people for it.
Cheers
Joe
On 31 May 2004 13:50:16 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Decij) wrote:

My guess is that is that the stain you applied looked okay and then you wiped it off. Big mistake. In your situation, you don't want to wipe it off. Try again and leave the stain alone for a day or two and then spray the whole area with a clear finish.
Les
Consider hiring a furniture touch up guy to do the job. In Yellow pages or call a mover and ask who they use. Also replace handles and knobs with ones that come with a backplate.

known
all I

shape.
out