Toro Lawn Mower hard to start

My Toro Personal Pace mower is 9 years old and has always started on the first or second pull of the starter cord. Not so this year.
I sent it out for maintenance, and when I got it back after being "repaired" I still had a hard time starting it.
Can anyone tell me what is causing the starter rope to hang up and be very hard to pull?
Where I sent it for repairs, they don't seem to know very much at all.
Thanks,
DLB
DonBloch wrote:

The life of a mower like yours is 8 years, but there are good sales on now.

Could be that the engine is worn. Can't say for sure going by years, depends on actual use. My Cub Cadet lasted 5 years, by Deere lasted about 15.

Didn't you check with some neighbors for a reputable repair shop before you sent it out? Make sure you let others know about your lack of satisfaction with the place you went to that did such a bad job. You shouldn't have paid them for the repairs until they showed you the lawn mower started easily since that is why you had it repaired.
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 23:27:15 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm reading the OP as though they think it's a problem with the recoil starter though, *not* with the engine. I have seen the recoil mechanism wear on some equipment to the point that it binds or doesn't recoil or doesn't engage the flywheel properly; I'd start there (usually it's just a few bolts and the entire unit comes off and can be inspected)
On Oct 27, 8:46am, Jules Richardson

"Can anyone tell me what is causing the starter rope to hang up and be very hard to pull? " I would take this as hard to pull, as in...partially sheared key. FWIW.
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 07:50:45 -0700, Bob_Villa wrote:

I suppose - it was the "hang up" that made it sound to me like they meant it was suddenly jamming, though.
A key problem wouldn't usually make it hard to pull, surely? Just very hard to get it to actually fire up because the timing would be shot, assuming it'd even run at all - but it'd still turn over as easily as it ever did.
Having said that, I did aquire a trimmer where the key survived but the aluminum flywheel chewed itself to death on the shaft and ended up completely off-axis - partway through a revolution it would then contact the magneto, and (aside from the fact that it wasn't ever going to run) that did give hard to pull / hang-up behavior on the starter.
cheers
Jules
DonBloch wrote:

Hi, What did they do at the shop?
DonBloch wrote:

Everything everyone said, and check the cables, when they get old they often don't release the flywheel brake. Also there is usually a compression release that holds the exhaust valve open a bit when starting so the valves have to be properly adjusted. Old mowers are expensive to have repaired and the results are often disappointing. With the price of scrap metal up I don't see many old mowers sitting around anymore, they used to come out of the woodwork, not any more.
On 10/26/2011 8:48 PM, DonBloch wrote:

My first-year Toro Personal Pace mower has never started on the first or second pull. What are you complaining about? Or should I complain that it starts on the 3rd pull consistently? I was told this is common for Toro mowers.