Toro rear drive lawn mower

When I tried to replace the drive belt on my Toro mower I found that the drive gear pulley was extremely loose. Does anyone know how to replace the drive gear unit? I assume it is the gear because when I activate it, there is a lot of noise (growling. When I lift the rear end of the mower off the ground the wheels spin quietly.

Reply to
ccsgraham

I apologize in advance for not answering your question. However, how did you go about replacing the drive belt on your Toro? I have a personal pace (20017) rear wheel drive mower. I am trying to follow the Interactive Manual on Toro's website. I'm having difficulty threading the drive belt through the "fingers". Please describe in detail how you performed that particular task. I'd appreciate it. Thanks...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Hello,

I was able to solve my problem by downloading a pdf of the "Toro/Lawn-Boy Walk Behind Power Mower Drive Systems Manual" from Toro's website

Unfortunately, the Interactive Manual was incorrect for replacing the v-belt on my mower. Anyway, the Service Manual is quite detailed and it states that it covers models from 1990 to 2002 (my mower is a 2005 and the manual was good.) It describes how to disassemble and reassemble all the different transmissions. Perhaps you may just need to add some #2 lithium based grease to quiet things down. I wish you luck.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Reply to
ccsgraham
4

Reply to
ccsgraham

Chris, I also had a very difficult time replacing the belt. I had to put a long, thin screwdriver between the fingers and the pulley and pry the finger outboard then force the belt into position.

Reply to
ccsgraham

ccsgraham:

Those fingers have nuts on top that if loosened will easily move out of the way. Visit the Toro website and you can download manuals that will tell you step by step how to change the belt. I changed one today and it took about 20 minutes.

Reply to
Mac Cool