Toilet started to clog frequently

We have a particular toilet on the second floor, that started to clog from time to time. Every time I could unclog it (I do not recall the name of the tool, it has a rubber bulb and is made to push water forcefully when its handle is pushed), but it bothers me and I would like to know how I can resolve this permanently.
thanks
Add pictures here
✖
Ignoramus32553 wrote:

Sounds like either the vent stack is blocked, or there is something caught in the U trap of the toilet or as in the case I had it was lodged in the toilet just before the wax ring and flange.
In our case I was able to cast the blame to the opposite sex with in the family. Seems some one dropped a feminine hygiene product into the toilet as it was flushing wrapper, plastic applicator, and all.
Can't hurt to lift the toilet and take a look
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 20, 7:44 pm, Ignoramus32553 <ignoramus32...@NOSPAM. 32553.invalid> wrote:

Use a six foot auger.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 20, 10:44 pm, Ignoramus32553 <ignoramus32...@NOSPAM. 32553.invalid> wrote:

Plunger. But, I think in your case, you can use your head.
Add pictures here
✖
Ignoramus32553 wrote:

Get a flex inspection camera on sale for $89.99 http://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-inspection-camera-with-24-inch-color-lcd-monitor-66550.html
--
If I wasn't me I wouldn't like me either.
Signature file not found

http://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-inspection-camera-with-24-inch-color-lcd-monitor-66550.html
You think that it might last for at least one use?
✖

http://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-inspection-camera-with-24-inch-color-lcd-monitor-66550.html
Not on sale now. )-: They want $159.99 for it!!!!. Might be worth $90 to me, but not $160. Do they have frequent sales on it? This is one of the instances where URLs fail. That's a 2.4" screen but I'll bet putting the dot in the URL screws it up good. At first I thought WOW, a 24" LCD for $89!!!
I also see a non-contact IR thermo on sale for $26 but I can get them from Ebay (via HK) for under $20, shipping included. Very useful for checking microwaved food for compliance without getting a dial thermo dirty. Also useful for spotting leaks around doors and windows.
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
✖

Others have offered good suggestions. Here's another which may be simpler, depending on your idea of simpler. A few weeks ago, my toilet began running constantly, but slightly. Enough to make me do the wrong thing because I didn't have time to diagnose it correctly: I bent the float ball arm down a bit. That stopped it from running between flushes, but it also lowered the water level just enough to make it flush badly & get partially clogged. Take a peek inside the tank of your toilet. It's possible that some of the internals may be out of order and having the same effect. The water line should be fairly easy to see.
Add pictures here
✖

Sounds like a problem I had once. One of the kids dropped a plastic lid from a bottle in the toilet and it caught just at the outlet at the bottom of the toilet. If I used the plunger, it would turn the lid crosswise in the opening and let the toilet flush. It soon would turn the other way and block the opening. It had to pull the toilet to find the problem and easily fix it. Elgy
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 21, 12:14 pm, "ELGY" <lgpetersatcomcastdotnet> wrote:

If your toilet flushes solids fine with a bucket but fails to move the solids along when flusing normally, and you see the water just swirl around the interior bowl rim passages may be clogged with sediment, acid can fixthat easy and fast
Add pictures here
✖

re: acid can fix that easy and fast
Less dangerous than acid is a coat hanger which can be used to clear the sediment from the rim holes.
You just can't mind getting up close and personal with your toilet.
BTDT
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:14:01 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Not to mention, if the toilet is on a septic system. That acid should be neutralized before flushing.
Instead of a coat hanger, I've seen it mentioned here to use a cleaning rod (short) with a brass bore tip -- from a gun cleaning kit. Say .22 brush.
Add pictures here
✖

coat hanger can only clean the output holes, it cant reach inside the bowl rim passages.
and acid is not dangerous if used with minimal care. wear safety or regular glasses open the window, buy a funnel that fits in the riser tube, pour carefully dont splash. muriatic acid today isnt real strong its used for cleaning brick.
Add pictures here
✖

re: "coat hanger can only clean the output holes, it cant reach inside the bowl rim passages."
You'll get no argument from me as to how far a coat hanger can reach.
All I can say is that the coat hanger worked for me. My "sluggish toilet" was back to its old self after spending some quality time on my knees chipping and scraping as much I could with the hanger.
If acid would have done "better" I don't know that I would have noticed a difference.
YMMV
Add pictures here
✖
<stuff snipped>
re: "coat hanger can only clean the output holes, it cant reach inside the bowl rim passages."

If acid kept me from having to worship the porcelain god on my knees, I'd choose acid every time.
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
✖
We have a

coat hanger can only clean the output holes, it cant reach inside the bowl rim passages.
and acid is not dangerous if used with minimal care. wear safety or regular glasses open the window, buy a funnel that fits in the riser tube, pour carefully dont splash. muriatic acid today isnt real strong its used for cleaning brick.
=========== Thanks to you hallerb, I haven't had a clogged toilet in a couple of years now. The muriatic acid is a very easy and safe solution to the problem.
Cheri
Add pictures here
✖

You need to eat more fiber. Obviously something changed in your diet. Pooping more often may help.
Add pictures here
✖
I had a toilet cloggin on ocassion for years and years, I removed it once took it out in the driveway and gave the trap a power flush..A lot of calcium material built came out, I reinstalled the toilet and then 2 years after that flush I replaced it with a new unit. It seems the new units from what I have been told is finished internally, where the older units are not leaving the rough iron to the hold deposits..2 years now and no problems...

Add pictures here
✖

.invalid> wrote in message

older water waster flushers tended to rarely clog and were pretty quiet, unlike the government mandated low flow toilets of today
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 20, 10:44 pm, Ignoramus32553 <ignoramus32...@NOSPAM. 32553.invalid> wrote:

I've also noticed that the cheaper toilets with the unglazed trap are more prone to intermittent clogging that those where the bowl and trap are fully glazed. Part of it I think is the drag factor on solids, and part of it is the unglazed porcelain is more likely to allow for mineral build-up if you have hard water.
Add pictures here
✖