Frequently plugged toilet

I posted before Thanksgiving the toilet in the bathroom of the rental not flushing well. This is one which has an original lead waste bend which leaked before I replaced with a PVC one like six or seven years ago. The toliet was the old standard non-water-saving type I am very hesitant to replace. During Thanksgiving I removed the toilet, could not find anything wrong, put it back with a new flush valve having a higher overflow tube. My strategy was to flush with even more water in the tank.

It didn't work. The tenants are having the same complaint.

Now I'd appreciate a toilet recommendation. I won't exactly go cheap, knowing you get what you pay for. But I won't pamper them either. It's a rental after all. I had a water-saving Kohler a few years ago which works but doesn't flush with power.

Advice is appreciated.

Reply to
yaofengchen

American Standard Cadet. Home Depot.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

The name you will hear most often is likely to be "American Standard Cadet." It is a good one. In any case you want one with fully glazed trap at least 2". Don't buy anything that does not meet that.

Note there are many different models of American Standard Cadet. As far as I can tell, they are all good.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Before changing the toilet you may want to try a different toilet paper.

I was having a lot of problems until a plumber friend suggested I try the cheapest paper I could find. Went to a cheap version of Scot and the flushing problems went away immediately.

Seems the "soft" "quilted" papers are too thick and take too long to break down. They are a lot more expensive also.

Reply to
Hound Dog

before replacing the toilet try making sure that the air hole in the bottom of the bowl is not clogged with calcium or what ever that will affect it

Reply to
Larry Stevens

Test the toilet yourself with their toilet paper perhaps the tennants dump to much paper in it

Reply to
m Ransley

When I removed the toilet during Thanksgiving, the PVC bend, the rubber connector between the bend and what remained of the lead bend stub which sticks out from the cast iron waste stack were all clean. I did use a small mirror and shined a flashlight to look inside. Anything foreign matter clogging it was ruled out.

Reply to
yaofengchen

Is there an air hole in the bottom of the bowl? That's new to me.

Reply to
yaofengchen

Well, there's an air hole that becomes a water hole when the toilet is flushed.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

You have to find out if the tenant is using gobs of toilet paper and/or eats a lot of sugar and pasta. Suggest a bran supplement. The toilet itself is probably not the weak link in the overall waste plumbing system, either.

-B