Toilet Question.

Situation:
Had a toilet that would not flush. Water would slowly drain, but no flushing. Plunged the hell out of the toilet with no success. Replaced entire flush system. Still no luck. Bought a toilet snake a rammed that bitch back and forth for 20 minutes. Still no flush. Finally bought a new bowl (and matching tank). Pulled off the old bowl, poured bucket of water down drain, everything seemes perfect. Even ran a snake down drain to see if it may have been clogged. I didn't even pull up one chunk of ANYTHING. Put new bowl and tank in and everything is perfect.
My question is.. What and how could go wrong inside the bowl itself? I couldn't visually see anything inside the bowl, but that damn thing wouldn't flush.
red wrote:

Take the bowl out in the yard and break it open with a hammer. You would be amazed at the odd stuff that gets lodged in there!
Jim
-snip-

I found a tennis ball in one once. Once I found it, it made perfect sense. The bowl would drain slowly as long as the snake was in it-- remove snake, solid clog. Never any debris on the snake.
Damned kids.<g>
Jim
I recall well the jar lid the kids were using for a boat. When it sank, they decided the water was "icky" and flushed it. The lid caught midway along, sometimes letting stuff go by, including a toilet snake, other times stopping everything. I retrieved it with judicious use of a plunger, quickly PULLING the contents of the trap.

I had a similar case. The toilet would drain if I used a plunger, but then would stop up after a few flushes. I tried a snake several times with the same results. The toilet flushed fine for awhile and then would stop up again. Finally, on the third or fourth round with a snake, when I pulled it out, a small clear plastic cup was speared on the end. This was one of those small cups that are in some sort of refill dispenser. One of the kids had either dumped it in the toilet, or it rolled off the vanity top and bounced into the toilet. Of course, the shape and size is just about right to maker a big stopper.
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 19:43:39 -0500, "Michael Baugh"

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+ http://home.attbi.com/~dyrgcmn /
Cracked trapway (internal) ... Can't see it, but it plays hell with the siphon action.
Ask any plumber -
With respect, I am
Joe
Had a friend who had the toilet off. He put a foam coffeecup in the drain to keep the sewer gasses back. Put the toilet back on without remembering to take the foam cup out. Pulled the flush handle and had a flood on the floor.
--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season
I dealt with a poor flush situation the other day. The rubber part of the wax ring was the culprit.

Passages and openings into bowl can become plugged. There have been seveal threads on the topic. Cleaning the openings has worked for me.
Tom Baker
red wrote:

Have any kids? Could be a toy stuck in the trap. Happened to me more than a few times. Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
red wrote:

might have one of those three shelved things behind the toilet.. like we have with just about every tube or bottle or jar of every type of body wash, lotion, and other stuff that the females use... we had quite a few fall down and had to be retrieved by pulling up the toilet and bringing it out in the back yard and then going into it with a hose from each side, the top and bottom and then a small narrow snake to shove some of the stuff out..... that is probably your problem????