Toilet keeps runnng. prefered style?

I replace the guts in my toilet tank. The old one was a ball on a shaft the floated up to stop the water flow. The new one I bought has no float, I'm not sure what causes the water to stop flowing but whatever it is its not working to well... We came home the othernight and the tank had been running for about 5 hours. It filled my septic system and started overflowing into the basement. only a couple of gallons before we got hom and discovered it.
My question is:
What is the best/most reliable unit to put into the tank. I dont want to keep telling the kids to wait and make shure the toilet stops runing before they leave the house...
TIA
Steve

If a running toilet made your septic overflow into the basement the toilet is the last of your worries. It's just the straw that broke the camel's (septic tank/system) back.
Get a septic service out there and pull the covers for a pumping and inspection.
I'm aware of our septic system problems... I cant fix that for $20 though....

Fluid master is the new standard, and while not fool proof, they give a lot of service between repairs. I've noticed a lot of toliets now come with them from the factory. http://www.fluidmaster.com/usa.html
Eric in North TX wrote:

I have a toilet with the fluid master and the darn float will not go up far enough to shut the water off. No good.

I was an early adopter, and they do have their flaws, but nothing compared to a ball cock or those little pressure operated valves. Is the float adjusted properly? There is a slide on the metal rod that sets that. I've also found a little faucet grease on the body where the float slides does all the good
Eric in North TX wrote:

Thats what I will try. It's as if it isn't lubed up enough. I agree though, better design than the ol ball cock.

What *was* wrong with the kind he used to have, the floating metal ball on a horizontal rod? I had those for years before I got to NY** and they seemed to work fine.
**Most apartment buildings in NY have flushometers.
I got my last couple toilet valves at Home Cheepo. Came with instructions on how to adjust the water level.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.