Tip To Quiet A Garage Door Opener

If you have a room above a garage and the opener can be heard through the floor, here's a tip that will make it a lot quieter:
Hang the opener on short (but strong) rubber straps instead of mounting it directly the ceiling. The rubber will absorb the vibration and lessen the noise transmitted through the joists.
I used a 3 ply material similiar to a tire (specifically a brake pad from a Soap Box Derby car!) and the reduction in noise was amazing.
Enjoy!
at replacement time try out the rubber drive belt garage door opener. [if applicable to your climate.] amazingly much quieter than my broken 10 year old failed chain drive model.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

buffalobill,
Please explain "if applicable to your climate". If your user name is related to your location/football team, our climates are very similiar.
buffalobill wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I bought a mud flap for a truck and cut it up. Worked great.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
also rubber or hockey puck at end of the pole.
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Skyhawk wrote:

I used a couple of layers of that mud flap. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
I'm thinking an exhaust hanger would be darn near perfect for this application?
nate