Tip To Quiet A Garage Door Opener

If you have a room above a garage and the opener can be heard through the floor, here's a tip that will make it a lot quieter:

Hang the opener on short (but strong) rubber straps instead of mounting it directly the ceiling. The rubber will absorb the vibration and lessen the noise transmitted through the joists.

I used a 3 ply material similiar to a tire (specifically a brake pad from a Soap Box Derby car!) and the reduction in noise was amazing.

Enjoy!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

at replacement time try out the rubber drive belt garage door opener. [if applicable to your climate.] amazingly much quieter than my broken

10 year old failed cha> If you have a room above a garage and the opener can be heard through
Reply to
buffalobill

buffalobill,

Please explain "if applicable to your climate". If your user name is related to your location/football team, our climates are very similiar.

buffalobill wrote:

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I bought a mud flap for a truck and cut it up. Worked great.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

also rubber or hockey puck at end of the pole.

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Reply to
Skyhawk

I'm thinking an exhaust hanger would be darn near perfect for this application?

nate

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Reply to
N8N

I used a couple of layers of that mud flap. :-)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan