Tiny screws in eyeglass frames

How can I pick up the tiny screws and align them into the holes in the frames?
On 09/15/2015 01:46 PM, gary wrote:

tweezers or small needle-nose
I use a small medical clamp that can locked so that the screw can be picked-up, held and inserted into the hole.
"gary" wrote in message
How can I pick up the tiny screwsole and align them into the holes in the frames?
On 09/15/2015 1:46 PM, gary wrote:

I generally just use a tiny dab of petroleum jelly or the like on the tip of the jeweler's screwdriver; it's sufficient to pick up the screw by the slot and hold it to get it in place. Even a drop of water _can_ be enough with some...

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 11:46:04 -0700 (PDT), gary

On 9/15/2015 2:46 PM, gary wrote:

Eyeglass screwdriver kit. Small magnet or magnetize the required driver. Put screw on end of driver. Insert into hole and screw.
On 9/15/2015 2:46 PM, gary wrote:

A magnetic screwdriver?
Thanks all for your suggestions.
I was able to loosen the screws just enough to get the lenses out of the old frames and put the lenses in to the new frames without removing the screws and having them disappear into the carpet never to be found again.

KILLJOY!
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 15 Sep 2015 18:53:06 -0700 (PDT), gary

Never do something like this over carpet in the first place.
Never do it on a glass-topped desk I learned that with a pocket watch when I was 13 years old.
Never do it with hardwood floors unless they have no cracks between boards.
Actually it's best to use a table with a piece of one-color cloth spread on it, to stop bouncing. Maybe sit on the floor too.
Wrap cellophane tape around your fingers sticky side out.

Always do such work over a table or countertop so that if you drop a screw you'll be able to find it easily.

As an expert at losing parts, I never take anything apart any more unless it's on a large tray and having a couple of containers for parts. I keep a couple of those large plastic lids from peanut cans don't take up much space in a tool box.

I had a couple of problems with plastic frame recent glasses. First, the hinges were stuck. Moving them would have damaged the frame or temple bars. I tried loosening the screws and adding a drop of oil, but could not get them to budge. Eventually I got another frame from the mfr. Instructions were to run the old glasses under hot water and when flexible, pop out the lenses. While doing this I squirted some dish detergent on the glasses and instantly the hinges loosened up completely. So I ended using the original frames.
The hinges were not bend or binding -- just evidently they used the wrong lube, or glue got into them. Both hinges were like this.
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 16 Sep 2015 16:26:16 -0700 (PDT), Uncle

What's good are those pill dispensers with a section for each day of the week. When I took apart a camera, first stage screws went in Sunday, next stage Monday. I used all 7 days.

On 09/19/2015 08:27 PM, micky wrote:
[snip]

But be sure those compartments have INDIVIDUAL lids. I had a plastic one once, 7 compartments with a common lid. It was way too springy, making it nearly impossible to access one compartment without ejecting the contents of ALL compartments.
and that leads to another consideration; don't work over carpet, where you can't find the tiny screws.
--
97 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Dip the tip of your screwdriver into anything sticky: vaseline, honey, strawberry jam...
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 16 Sep 2015 22:10:36 +0000 (UTC), Doug

I've got some left-over strawberry jelly, but no bread or peanut butter.
Can I mix it with water and make a strawberry drink?