Time capsules

I had a bad day a week ago. Putting up the drywall in the basement and stairway I lost my tape measure. Near as I can tell I sealed it in the wall somewhere, probably with a few other things as well. At the time I had just finished installing 4x8 panels by hand above the stairwell and I wasn't about to remove them to look for the lost measure. Heck I could barely lift my arms, so I resigned myself to buying another one.

That bites, but the next person who buys my house will uncover a real time capsule of construction equipment.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Amazing the stuff that turns up in old houses and barns like that.. The house I was raised in was built in 1928. FOund a couple of old wooden handled screwdrivers in the eves.

Reply to
professorpaul

"Eigenvector" wrote in news:TJSdnabw7Y8xrObYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

If anyone finds my side cutters, I think I have your prybar.

Reply to
Al Bundy

i have found screw drivers and other tools in walls, some old toys dropped from attic, old newspapers and a bunch of il bottles left over from when this home was built in 1950. found a birth certificate behind a litchen cabinet

I have thought of a intential time capsule but never got around too it

Reply to
hallerb

Let me guess. It was your favorite tape as well right? I hate when that happens!

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I recall doing some rewirind on interior walls one time and found every cavity stuffed with drywall cuttoffs. Better than a trip to the dump. A bit of bad language on that job. jesse

Reply to
Jesse

It was actually, I had to replace it with a Stanley Powerlock of whatever it's called. Compared to the old one the new one is 2nd rate. Only reason why I chose the Stanley was because it was made in the US of US parts.

Reply to
Eigenvector

I had that problem in one of the interior walls in my house. It's one of the walls next to the bathroom, and apparently the PO decided to throw old tiles into the wall rather than throwing them in the trash.

I also found some old clay jugs and glass bottles in the yard of my parent's house a few years ago while I was burying some conduit. The house was built in 1917, so I'm wondering if I dug into someone's prohibition stash. The jugs look to be around that vintage.

Reply to
Chris Snyder

I was just about to close up a few open wall areas a few years ago. Just as I was about to set the drywall in place; out popped one of our cats.

-- Oren

Oren

Would serve him/her right too! My own cat has an unnatural attraction for the furnace intake vent in the basement.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Whenever we are sealing up a wall or other project, I always put coins of different denominations (penny, nickel, dime and quarter) that are the same year that we are doing the work somewhere in the wall.

Reply to
Robert Allison

I don't have to worry about that, we have a spare cat ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

Old construction tradition. As a kid, I was helping on the rehab of some

1915 3-story brick houses to make them into offices, and we found a rafter section one guy had dated and signed. When insulating my mother's 1966 cookie cutter in the late 70s, we found lotsa period pop cans and a few tools in the dead spaces. When drafted for footer-pouring duty, I always put a name and a date somewhere in the pour, unlikely ever to be seen other than by the poor SOB changing the foundation drains in 30 years. The house we moved out of in 66 probably still has a card file box I stashed above the carport ceiling from the storage closet I used as a clubhouse. (No trees big enough for a tree house on that lot, so you make do- box in the upper storage shelf, nail some steps to the studs, and viola, a private place grownups can't get into.)

Kilroy was here, etc.

aem sends...

Reply to
<aemeijers

A little extra pussy, never hurts......

-- Oren

Oren

I hope we haven&#39;t gone metric by the time it&#39;s found.

Reply to
HeyBub

Well they could always take it to the museum then.

Reply to
Eigenvector

When I do work in my house, I take little &#39;toys&#39; and put them in places. This way the next person has a conversation piece. ;)

later,

tom @

Tom The Great