Tilt-Up Garage Door

We have a standard, two-car garage with an old, steel, tilt-up garage door. The previous owner built an un-permitted room along one side of the garage which prevents us from simply installing a tracked, roll-up garage door.
The problem has escalated because my wife's new car is just 1.5 inches too tall for our old, bent garage door!
Our first option is to replace the old one with a new, straight tilt- up, which would give us enough height for the car.
My question is, why doesn't anyone sell/install residential roll-up garage doors that completely roll up into themselves, like you often see on commercial garages and warehouses? That would certainly solve our problems.
Anyone know of anyone who does this in Southern California?

Any door that retracts equal to the opening is good enough. I don't see any advantage in a residential setting to spend the extra money for a roll up. They tend to be noisy also.

Probably because there isn't sufficient market for them.
You might consider modifying/removing the "unpermitted" room so a conventional, tracked door could be used.
Failing that, I'll bet any commercial garage door company could do what you need. Just go out to the money tree and grab-off an extra-large handful and go for it. Good luck.
--
:)
JR

Roll up doors are available everywhere and the most common usage is self storage facilities. They are much less expensive than residential doors but they just don't look right in a residential setting because the horizontal stiffening ribs are so prominent. A 10' wide by 7' door sells for under $200 at some of the box stores. Some Yellow Pages and Google research might locate something you could live with. Good luck.
Joe

The resulting roll takes up too much headroom. Commercial garages are normally 14-16' tall. Put in a sliding barn-style door.
ctd4x4 inspired greatness with:

Why don't you frame-in the side of the opening adjacent to the room addition, to accommodate the vertical track? For example if the door width was 16' frame the door opening to accommodate a 14' wide door.
If you can post some pictures that would help too.
ctd4x4 wrote:

http://www.tracrite.com/index.asp?menuID 0
--
Grandpa