Tiling or Covering a Concrete Porch?

What are my options for tiling or paving a concrete porch? I'd like to cover it in something like quarry tile but am wondering how it will hold up to the weather. There's no overhead cover and it would be exposed year round. Is there a thin brick-like paver which could be used? I'm in Virginia near DC and am wondering if moderate winters would be bad enough to cause problems.
ILYNat wrote:

Quarry tile - *real* quarry tile - resists just about anything. There are also thin brick veneer, it would work too. As would just about any tile.
-- dadiOH _____________________________
dadiOH writes:

No, most tile has significant water absorption that will stain and not stand up to freeze/thaw cycles. You need near-zero WA, such as porcelain.
Also problems with hollow areas in the thinset holding water and freezing, popping off tiles.
That's what I'm concerned about, the freeze-thaw cycle and how likley the tiles are to stay once put on. I'm not sure if this is as workable as I'd like it to be...
Would the thin brick pavers (put on I assume with mortar) be the solution?

ILYNat writes:

WA = ?
Is the WA an issue in the material (brick shold be OK) if the bonding adhesive is secure? The brick, even thin brick, should be durable and it seems the concern is in getting it properly fastened to the underlying concrete. I'd wonder about the water in the mortar joints coming loose over time though but am sure that can be remedied, perhaps with a sealer.

ILYNat writes:

WA is an issue where there is water and freezing. "Should be durable" is just wishful thinking.
On 9 Aug 2004 05:56:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (ILYNat) wrote:

Also check with a local tile distributor. They will know what holds up in your area and be able to show you a wide variety of options.
In general, the DC area is okay with porcelain tile and properly sealed quarry tiles. A proper bond with the mortar is essential.
An alternative would be a coated or stamped concrete, and brick patterns are available that hold up to freeze/thaw cycles as well as your porch has so far.
Jeff