Tile Roof

I have a condo in FL with a "clay" tile roof. Roof/condo is approx. 15 years old. Looks very nice!
During the late Spring of this year, noticed roof leaks (onto ceiling below) along an adjoining wall. Inspection of roofing material (from the attic area) under the tile revealed several areas had been leaking apparently for some time since a section of the plywood was rotted allowing the water to seep (quickly under heavy rain conditions) through.
Section of tile in and around the leak were removed and revealed the plywood was in fact rotted and apparently the roofing "paper" above the plywood was either originally installed improperly or had failed over the years. Plywood was replaced, covered with polyglass "SAV-V" ice & water guard, seams sealed with roofing cement and tiles replaced. Flashing along adjacent wall was in good condition. To date repair seems to be working OK.
Therein lies my question. Roofer who did repairs indicated tile roofs are not totally effective against water infiltration especially in FL's heavy wind driven rains - and in fact the roofing paper under the tiles is suppose to act as a water seal. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? Is the roofer on point with his explanation? Your input is appreciated.
Incidentally we did suffer some spot tile damage during the three 2004 hurricanes but the tiles were replaced well before the leaks into the interior were observed. Other areas of plywood away from the indicated leak look dry and fine.
Thanks in advance.
Art
I have a concrete tile roof. We had to have the roof repaired where the "valley" was. Anyway, I was told that the tile itself is not very effective at keeping water out...it's what is underneath that is important. It's a black looking tarpaper (?) or waterproof material. I think that is what the roofer was telling you.
Art wrote:

Yes, more or less.
Tile on a roof is a pretty-pretty, not a leak preventer. Best applied (IMO) by setting in mortar over a heavy 90# mineral embedded felt that has been applied over the sheathing and dry in felt by setting it in hot, mopped on tar. IOW, no nails.
dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Here's a link to the install instructions provided by one manufacturer... http://www.ludowici.com/tiles/image/Application%20Manual%20.Spanish.pdf