Three-way switch with on/off indicator

Page 3 of 3

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 23:06:43 -0700 (PDT), Evan

I don't know about that. One of the switches is near the light, the other isn't. The one far away is the one that needs the indicator.

I think I can replace a switch if that is all I have to do. Beyond that, I don't think I can do it.

That makes sense and that will do the job.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Pilot light switches are lit when the circuit is on, and illuminated switches are lit when the circuit is off. They make 3 way pilot light switches, but you'd need to check how the circuit is wired to determine if one will work in the desired location. Here is a link to one type of pilot light 3 way: http://www.kyledesigns.com/product/PS15AC3-CPL/3-Way-Clear-Pilot-Lighted-Toggle-Switch---Lighted-When-ON.html?meta=GBASE&metacpg=PS15AC3-CPL&utm_source=gbase&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=&utm_campaign=PS15AC3-CPL

Sure enough. At the very end of a long list of features it says "Grounding terminal is standard." but it doesnt' say a ground is required for the light to go on. And it doesn't say you don't need one either. And it doesn't say antyying about how the circuit must be wired. I woudln't know whether to buy this one or not. OTOH, it says flat out "Lighted when switch is ON." Would they say that if it depended on the circuit? I hope not.

steel with integral ground. "
The ground is required for the pilot to work.
Wire it as a standard 3 way and you should be fine - I was not aware Pass & Seymour was marketing them - not a common hardware store/big-box item - and not even on the shelf at our local electrical supply houses.

That looks what I need - not cheap though.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

well you could put a transfomer on the lightbulb side and run low voltage indicator lights wherever you want
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 15:52:03 -0400, Jan Philips

quality price. Oats that's already been through the horse come a bit cheaper"

Jan-
Based on my experince installing light 3 ways at the bottom & top of the stairs......
Both are lit when the controlled light is off both are unlit when the controlled light is on
These were just regular old lighted 3-ways from Home Depot (Leviton 5503-LHW)
Available in lots of place; prices range from $10 to $20 I would suggested just getting one and install it in the location desired.
cheers Bob

That is one of the places I looked online. The website said that they were illuminated, but it didn't tell if it went off when the circuit was on.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

I got one of those from Hope Depot. For this application I'd rather have ON/ON and OFF/OFF, but this was $6 vs. $40 for the other type that I saw.
Thanks to everyone.
--
Replace you know what by j to email