thickness jam gauge

Page 1 of 2
I have a dough sheeter, which has two adjustable rollers for establishing the thickness of a sheet of dough. There are no measurement indicators on the machine, so I am looking for a gauge to jam in between the rollers to measure their separation, i.e. the thickness of the resulting dough sheet.
Something like the old spark plug gap setting jam gauge, I suppose.
Any ideas?
Taxed and Spent posted for all of us...

Feeler gauges, vernier calipers, wooden blocks, paint marks for most used settings...
--
Tekkie

On 10/7/2016 1:58 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

calipers won't fit, but darned if I forgot all about feeler gauges! thanks.
On 10/07/2016 3:29 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

I'm presuming these aren't precision measurements nor particularly thin...what about a few plexiglass shims or the like? I'd think 1/32" would be more than enough discrimination...what's the desired range?
On 10/7/2016 2:11 PM, dpb wrote:

zero to 0.25 inches. I haven't figured out exactly what I want to go construct anything yet, but feeler gauges might be a good start (though perhaps a clumsy start, if I need to add a couple together).
On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 14:15:30 -0700, Taxed and Spent

Take a look at this set of long feeler gauges.
http://amzn.to/2cXQEnG
On 10/7/2016 3:40 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

yikes - expensive. Actually regular feeler gauges will be long enough, and if I combine two, three, or four thicknesses I can get most anything. if I zero in on a particular thickness that is the cat's meow, I can make a dedicated gauge from wood, plastic, etc.
On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 15:49:54 -0700, Taxed and Spent

The same link has shorter gauges for much less. It sounded like you were using these for an industrial application.
On 10/7/2016 4:23 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

oooh! this is what I was thinking of!
https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-Metric-Stainless-Feeler-Measuring/dp/B01374SUXY/ref=sr_1_22?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid 75884420&sr=1-22&keywordseler%2Bgauge
On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 16:55:52 -0700, Taxed and Spent

That should give you a relative measurement but probably not an accurate measurement of the gap between two cylindrical rollers. I think feeler gauges would be a better choice.
Is this for a commercial / industrial application or is this for home use? If home use, then I doubt it would make a big difference.
On 10/7/2016 5:09 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

home use, with a dough sheeter. This will be close enough - repeatably is more important than precision.
On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 17:16:50 -0700, Taxed and Spent

Yeah, then you can use anything. I thought you were involved with a commercial bakery producing croissants or a food manufacturer making something like pastry dough or pasta.
On 10/7/2016 5:26 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

I will be doing all of that. But not every day, so I want to figure something out, take notes, and go back to it again in a couple months without having to re-invent the wheel.
Taxed and Spent formulated the question :

That's what precision is, ITYM it is more important than 'accuracy'.
On 10/8/2016 5:49 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:

right you are.
On 10/7/16 3:29 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

Allen wrenches?
On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 4:29:43 PM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:

Hotel key cards (and similar cards) measure in at 1/32". I save all of mine. They may good spreaders, shims, etc.
Since they're plastic, they would be easy for you to keep clean considering they are being used on a food related appliance.
On 10/7/2016 8:55 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

good idea. thanks.

Micrometers? Long feeler gauges? What fits!? What's the cost?
Have you tried putting a piece of dough thru the machine and roughly measuring the dough?
(I thought this woulda been the obvious answer, but I guess not ;)
nb
On 10/8/2016 9:52 AM, notbob wrote:

measuring the dough would not help in resetting the rollers next time, without guesswork.
Feeler gauge would be the best answer, or the tapered gauge I posted earlier. I have one on order and will see how it works in this application.