Thermoplastic Blades

I got a new cutting head for my Stilh line cutter (weed whip). It has three plastic blades instead of the plastic line and works great. The kid down the street has been doing some yard work for us and he used it to cut high weeds and small saplings in an area we want cleared. I think the saplings might have been a bit much as the blades looked fairly worn when he was done.

Having purchased replacement blades, I got them out and noticed on the package that they suggest storing the blades in water for longer life. Does anyone do this? Does it make a noticable difference? I figure the Stihl people wouldn't print it on the package in a dozen different languages as a joke, but it still sounds weird.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

I googled the subject but only got the suggestion that storing in water is recommended. Nothing on the chemical or physical reactions that occur or are prevented from occuring in the water storage. I was curious to see if anyone on this group had run across this and had an opinion. Frequently, when you pose a question here, you get a dozen people giving their views and experiences with the subject. Maybe when everyone gets done with the holiday barbeque we'll get some opinions.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Never heard that. Could be that storing in water protects the plastic from ozone damage.

Reply to
Fred

I use a DR trimmer which uses heavy duty nylon cords. They recommend storing the cords in a moist container to prevent them from breaking.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

I did too to no avail. The only thing I can think of is that if blades are nylon, the water would keep them hydrated and modulus or stiffness would be less:

which might make them less brittle.

Reply to
Frank