There's NO Fire !!!!!

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 03:12:17 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

I used to have a relative who always said lights were burning (I especially remember this with old holiday lights). It sounded strange.

And the sun isn't burning either (for one thing it couldn't be, without any oxygen).
Something else that isn't burning: spicy food.

Mark Lloyd

Well, maybe on the second day on its way out .............. I guess you could call that a sensation, but it sure seems like "burning" to me. Although, come to think of it, I have never seen flames or smoke. Just felt like it ..........
Steve ;-)
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 13:59:34 -0700, "Steve B"

According to what I've heard, spicy food stimulates your sensory nerves the same way fire would. This produces a burning sensation without actually burning.
BTW, got any idea what temperature your tongue would have to reach before it would actually burn? You may not want to try that experiment ;-)

Mark Lloyd
wrote

There's a scale that is used for rating hot things. Like spicy foods, and pepper spray. It is SHU, meaning S(can't remember the name) Heat Units. Maybe Scoville, but don't hold my feet to the fire, just guessing.
Jalepenos are like 40,000 to 60,000 and habanero and Scotch Bonnets are like 300,000.
And every can of pepper spray you buy has a SHU rating.
How do they figure that out?
Steve
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 17:21:46 -0700, "Steve B"

I wondered the same thing. I was at a spice shop once and they had all these bulk spices. They had Cayenne pepper and it was rated like you say. I have used the store bought variety all my life, but when I bought some of their strongest, it knocked my socks off. Damnit, now I lost my socks too...... :) I believe that Cayenne was 120,000. YIKES !!!!!!
Mark
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 13:57:54 -0500, Mark Lloyd

You never burned your fingers on a HOT PEPPER? I got 3rd degree burns..... LOL.

A friend at a plant I worked at had a problem. There was a fridge where everyone could put their lunch. Someone was digging in the lunches, and taking sips out of other's soda bottles.
He put some Scotch Bonnet pepper around the lip of a soda bottle and put it in the fridge. Later that day, the culprit actually had blisters on his lips.
He also got a free can of Whupass.
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

And
Engines are "running" (what are they doing?).
People are "flying"
etc, etc.
And now that it has been found that a light bulb is a "dark Sucker" so I suppose we should say the bulb is "sucking".
http://paul.merton.ox.ac.uk/science/darksucker.html

They're worrying about security measures (I wish that one deserved a smiley).

The same way, bells are silence suckers.

Mark Lloyd
Another odd one regarding lights, at least here in western PA, is turn out the light. Out??!!? Maybe a throw-back to gas lights?

C & E wrote:

hey I am from pittsburgh really n hills near ross park mall////////

How do you explain "close the light", often heard in some Philly neighborhoods.

"light" is still occasionally used as a synonym for "window", it was much more common in the past.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Wow, after hearing my MIL use that term for 40 years, it finally makes some sense.
Edwin Pawlowski posted for all of us...

--
Tekkie "There\'s no such thing as a tool I don\'t need."