There MUST be a trick to installing spline in patio screen panel...

I have a screened-in breezeway between our house and detached garage, and our small children (and their many friend :) ) kept pushing on the screen door's lower panel, instead of against the frame, until the top tore clean out. Taking out the existing spline and screen material wasn't too much trouble. I cut (a little over-sized since this is my first attempt) a

24x30 panel from a roll of new screen. I found it nearly impossible to push in both the screen and spline at the same time, as instructed. I found the first trick, which seems to be to roll in the screen by itself first, and then try to roll in the spline. However, it still takes a lot of effort to push it in, and I'm tearing edge of the screen as I do it, which defeates the purpose of the repair. Could anyone tell me if there is an additional trick to getting the (solid/flat D-shaped) spline in the groove without destroying the screen, or describe in exhaustive and graphic details how it should be done? Thanks much for any pointer,

Ismail

Reply to
ismail.chowdhury

Hi, Spline and roller has to be proper size for the job. There is heavy duty screen material(fiberglass) which is good for small dogs/cats which I use on my screen door.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I always put a little soapy water on it and it slides right in.

Reply to
Robert Allison

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1181790650.824938.265560 @q19g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

Yea it can be nasty to do. You can get all the way to the last corner, slip and pop a hole even with a screen tool. Assume you are using one. It is possible the spline you are using is the wrong diameter assuming you are putting in new spline, The old spline may be dried out which will make it less flexible. But of course if you get too narrow a spline it will push out easy. Ughhh!

Using fiberglass/plastic screening? Easier to work with as far as the spline pushing it in.

Bottom line is it takes patience, practice, and lots of "Aw-Shit!"s.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Well, this falls in the category of stuff I'll pay somebody the 10 or 20 bucks to do, if it is a location that needs to look pretty. I have changed out screens, but never got the 'taut bedsheet' look of a factory screen. As to the kid problem- might I recommend adding a horizontal bar at kid height, to use as a handle? Some nice metal stock, and some standoffs and matching screws from the parts aisle at the borg, and it wouldn't even be too ugly.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Check on your installation tool. There's a cheap version, with a plastic handle and a roller on either end, which is marginal at best.

Then I found a more heavy-duty tool, with aluminum body, built-in razor trimmer, and sturdier wheel. With this one, the spline goes in with no trouble whatsoever.

Reply to
JimR

OK if you are doing a pool screen most likely you're using flat spline. Starting at the top, position screen and hold in place with a couple pieces of tape. You need a spline tool to set the spline. Using the flat end, not the grooved end, roll the screen gently into the channel. Take the spline, rounded edge facing inwards into the channel and using a screwdriver set the very end of the spline until it holds. Now place six inches or so of spline into the channel at the lower edge leaving the upper edge sticking out. Using the grooved end of spine tool now, roll along spline exposed at upper edge until it seats into the channel. Be careful to not cut the screen at the lower edge with tool. Repeat for sides and then bottom last. Done!

Reply to
Bobbo

I am getting ready to do this myself this weekend and have a quick question to clarify... You said that the rounded edge of the spline "facing inwards into the channel". So, put the rounded edge in first, got it... does it m atter which way the rounded edge goes in? In other words, should the round ed edge face the inner edge of the screen or the outer edge (where trimming the excess will take place), or does it not matter?

Reply to
sean.ahern6

The pros put the spline in with the rounded edge out. They start and end up in the same spot, going around the screen. It is a trick tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

replying to Bobbo, TJ wrote: rounded edge is up not down...............

Reply to
TJ

They lay the spline in the same way, they just go clockwise around the screen when they roll it in.

Reply to
gfretwell