The vacuum breaker on outside faucets

Over the summer I had to replace a couple of the outside faucets and the new ones now have vaccum breakers on them, per code. Forgot to ask the plumber (in July) whether I need to take them off over the winter to avoid freezing like I have to disconnect the hoses. Thanks.
-- "Politics should be limited in its scope to war, protection of property, and the occasional precautionary beheading of a member of the ruling class." -P.J. O'Rourke