The new Ryobi Lithium batteries

The new Ryobi Lithium 18v batteries are compatible with all their existing One+ tools. I've looked everywhere to find out whether they can be recharged in the existing 18v One+ chargers? If so, will we be able to buy JUST the battery? Currently the only option, without buying a new tool, is a combo battery and new model charger for $99. I'd like to get a couple or 3 of these new batteries, but I won't pay $99 for a battery and a changer I may not need.

Thanks, Jack

Reply to
Cactus Jack

Don't know the answer, but Ryobi tech support is terribly non-techincal.

Had a problem and question, similar to yours about batteries and chargers. Got zero help from TS - guy did not know enough to communicate on the subject.

RichK

Reply to
RichK

"Li-Ion batteries require a special charging system." *

-- Oren

Oren

Thanks, Oren. Geez, after reading that, I'm not so sure I want Lithium batteries now!

Jack

Reply to
Cactus Jack

See the battery comparison to a work horse at the bottom :-))

-- Oren

"I didn?t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

Reply to
Oren

Oren, why not check and see what the OP is talking about? Sure, li-ion and Ni-Cad have a different charge and discharge protocol, but don't you think it's possible that you can build a charger that does both?

The new Ryobi lithium battery can be used with the new & old tools. The new charger can be used to charge *both* the new lithium and *old* one+ Ni-Cad batteries.

"With today's silicone chips and such..."

The old charger won't charge the new batteries, but the new charger will charge both the old and the new.

Yes, they will need the new charger. That is why they are not selling just the batteries right now. Hopefully they came up with a way to make the new Lithium batteries incompatible with the old charger, because there could be problems if you use the wrong charger on them.

This new charger will recharge the old batteries, so you can throw away your old charger if you want.

Reply to
mkirsch1

What I did was quote; "Li-Ion batteries require a special charging system." and gave a link.

I can't build the charger, but I'm very certain you can. I appreciate that.

OP doesn't want new chargers, why not check? Got me.

..and an EPROM got us to the moon....

-- Oren

Oren

For now, Home Depot is selling a 2 pack of the old Ryobi 18v Batteries for $40

willshak

Oren - Sorry you downloaded that - I sent a cancel message about 15 sec after I posted and checked MY facts! :0(

I apologize.

Cactus Jack wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com:

Define "need".

Why? Once you have the new batteries and the right charger for them,they will retain their charge during storage far longer than other types,and have a greater run time than the other battery chemistries. If you use them daily,that long term storage is not a characteristic you need,and it's probably not worth spending your money on,but if you use your cordless tools only occasionally,then it makes sense.

It seems that Ryobi has made new battery tech practical for older Ryobi tools.Also making those older tools better due to long charge retention during storage. (since most Ryobi buyers seem to be non-professionals that store their cordless tools more than use them)

If Makita offered such an upgrade for my 6095DW,I would consider it when I needed new batteries.

Reply to
Jim Yanik