The new postal worker

...drove past our cluster mail box three times today.

He was speeding on our street and completely missed his stop. No mail today since he whizzed by just before 6:00 p.m. on his last attempt to deliver mail. Four tries, nah?

What a hoot.

Reply to
Oren

If the USPS could have figured out some way to have Chinese, Indian and Filipino workers do the job, they would be doing it and we would be in real trouble. I've gotten my mail as late as 7:30PM on somedays. I guess they're proving the "gloom of night" part of the postman's creed - "Neither rain, nor sleet . . ." I'd rather get it at 7:30PM than have a carrier stack it up in his garage as many have done in the past when they felt overworked. (-:

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

We have fill-ins that don't close the MB lid. Of course it's always when it's rainy.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

No, not at all... What you are experiencing is the impact of a shrinking workforce dealing with an ever expanding number of customers in the delivery area...

Some postal workers end up doing two routes per day because they finish their "assigned" route and go back to sort and deliver another...

Since this pool of workers is made up of those who are able to finish their own area early and volume fluctuates it is not always the same carrier delivering to those routes designated as "seconds" from day to day...

Reply to
Evan

"Oren" wrote

In its attempts to fend off Republican efforts to destroy the Postal Service through unreasonable funding of pensions 50 years into the future, the Postal Service has reluctantly cut back on employees. This means that there is less training for carriers than there used to be. Used to be that the supervisor rode with the carrier for a couple days to make sure that all stops were made and that mail was picked up from the pickup boxes on time, etc. My dad was a mail carrier, so I know about this stuff. Today, however, they've eliminated a lot of supervisors and "swing" carriers.

Reply to
David Kaye

Even the regulars don't do that anymore. I also asked the regular one day why the mail is usually folded. He said they are allowed to only use one hand so if more than an envelope is involved they will fold it say inside the flyer for carpet cleaning or whatever else came that day and not close the lid.

Reply to
George

I wonder if, at home, they don't put the TS down after a wee wee?

.

We have fill-ins that don't close the MB lid. Of course it's always when it's rainy.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Heh!

Our former person-person (formerly mailman) always had time to stop and chat. I asked him about that and he said he doesn't walk the route as it's laid out by his betters. He said he devised his own route and usually finishes by 1:00pm.

"What do you do then?" I asked.

"I find a shady spot for my lunch and study my law books for four hours. I'm in my last year of law school" he said.

"What kind of lawyer do you plan on being?"

"After I pass the bar, I hope to go to get a job with the US Postal Service. That way I'll never have to work again."

Nice to meet a man with a plan.

Reply to
HeyBub

Ours (two of them recently) always close the mailbox lid, and I have never found regular mail inside the advertising material. Maybe different supervisors make different rules.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Many Americans are opposed to allowing any government-related entity to do anything that makes a profit -- partly, perhaps, to help the for-profit entities that compete with them, and partly, perhaps, so that they can complain about how inefficient government-related entities are.

To deal with the USPS specifically...

  1. I recall that 30 or so years ago, the USPS announced that it did not need the postage increase that Congress had authorized.
  2. First-Class mail rates were supposed to subsidize the cost of delivering magazines, books, catalogs, etc., but First-Class mail volume has plummeted.
  3. Over the past two or three years I have ordered from online vendors items that were to be shipped by the particular vendors' "economy" method. Some have been picked up by UPS, some by DHL, and some by FedEx, BUT all have been delivered by USPS. IOW, USPS can deliver items more cheaply than these "commercial" services can, even when the latter have to transfer items from their own facility to the USPS facility instead of delivering them themselves. Perhaps the USPS rates have been "clamped" to aid these "commercial" services -- remember that the USPS, unlike FedEx, etc., cannot fix its own rates.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Reminds me of the old Chevy Chase movie "Funny Farm".

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"HeyBub" wrote

Bullshit of the first order.

Reply to
David Kaye

George wrote in news:k3kath$ncg$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

They can use 2 hands around here. They have to walk to each house. The MB is attached to fence by our side door.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

If you want to talk about inefficient organizations, there were four -- yes, four -- trucks belonging to our local DirecTV subcontractor at our neighbor's house yesterday afternoon.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

they may have been using that location for training.........

the postal workers I know are hard working all except one:( a fellow who works the window the mc night post office zip 15237.......

that jerk has ONE SPEED GLACIALLY SLOW.......:(

Reply to
bob haller

I get letters in folded advertising, but it seems the thing to do.

I once went on a post office job testing. Two hard days. Was for electronics job. Out of the 600 of us, I came in 50 . I got offered a position, but I was not going to change my living location.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Well, it sounded like a plan to me...