The government ruined the gas can...

Someone is missing the beauty of the master plan.

When coming out with a few model, ALWAYS make sure that it's less than optimal.

If you don't do that, you have NO replacement market.

Maybe Blitz shot too low on their first volley.

Sort of like MSFT with their new OS versions. Seems like they really messed up with W2K and XP. Really not enough warts there, but how people put up with the tinker toy interface is beyond me. But then they unleashed Vista and created a whole new replacement market for Win 7. Now we're in the ridiculous touch interface where it doesn't belong phase. Whatever they come out with as a fix MUST have some warts or they're living on OS's for new computers only revenue.

Personally, I've adapted to the new smaller cans. Had me confused for a while, but now I think I've got it. Fortunately I have an older larger can with a few more years on it.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Well, it worked for seatbelts, didn't it?

In the beginning, they didn't retract, and had those clunky belt buckles, and didn't allow you to adjust position.

Then they got comfortable.

I don't remember (I was a kid) how long it took between clunky seatbelts and decent ones?

It might take *that* long for the gas can to become usable again.

Reply to
Danny D

Shhhh. Here's my *secret* plan.

We know, from the Plastics Group of Willowbrook, Illinois, that *nobody* bought the spout molds from the now defunct Blitz USA of Miami Oklahoma; but, at the same time, we are aware that Hopkins Manufacturing Corp. of Emporia, Kansas paid $14.6 million for everything *but* the gas can molds.

That means, if we're lucky, that the Hopkins Manufacturing *water* jugs might use the *same cap* as the Blitz USA gasoline cans!

To find out if that's true, I ordered a set of water jug caps from Hopkins Manufacturing today. Cross your fingers and maybe they'll fit!

Reply to
Danny D

Check this out:

It's from a law firm.

"But what most people don't know is that these gas cans... transform into exploding bombs!"

Reply to
Danny D

Then they got shoulder harnesses. Then they got uncomfortable again.

Four-point harnesses are still illegal. Go figure.

Or not.

Reply to
krw

The water jugs seem pretty much the same material. I bought it at kmart, but a lot cheaper than gas or kero. I put kero in mine. I think it's blue.

6 gal.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Does anyone sell replacement old style vent caps ?

Reply to
Attila Iskander

It appears that people are not using a combination of big and small tanks for the job Big (5 gal) for storage Med (2-3 gal) for emergency resupply of cars\ Filled at gas station Small (1 gal) for gas-oil premix. Filled at home with a funnel from the big ones. I also have a few metal premix bottles that I refill

Hardly have any spillage

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Keep your eyes peeled for the metal 1-2 quart premix bottles They are sturdy, close well and are easily refilled

I also bought a 12-pack of one shot premix oil I refill them from a gallon of premix oil Automatic measurement of oil

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Only if you are clueless about accounting and accounting practices

Reply to
Attila Iskander

One fire department near me bought a couple

Keep your eyes peeled for the metal 1-2 quart premix bottles They are sturdy, close well and are easily refilled

I also bought a 12-pack of one shot premix oil I refill them from a gallon of premix oil Automatic measurement of oil

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The explanation is easy. OPM.

Reply to
krw

Per Attila Iskander:

This may be an indication that I have more money than common sense, but I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one of these:

and two more if it works out.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Attila Iskander:

Guilty as charged.

But I would assume that the same accounting practices were in use by both preceding and subsequent administrations.... so, in a relative sense, it would seem to hold up.

Also, he seems to have the guts to cut back on Medicare as part of the balancing process.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Moral relativism shows its ugly head, once again.

He doesn't care about seniors. They didn't vote for him.

Reply to
krw

The explanation is easy. OPM.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Looks to me from the Youtube vids that the new plastic jugs can easily be made to work well. This is a good one.

But I've heard Blitz is gone, so don't know what's up with other jugs. Saw other Youtube vids and it don't doesn't look like rocket science to get a can working well. Just an added PITA. Steel NATO cans might be rusty inside and out, and there's no reason to think they won't leak when pouring. I've seen a lot of metal cans that leaked where the nozzle is connected to the can. Gasketing has to be right.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Per Vic Smith:

In fact, I went off of steel cans after one (that looked perfect on the outside) rusted through over the winter and vented it's contents to the floor of my shed/paint locker.

But from what I can read about the NATO cans - the real ones, at least - they are coated inside as well as outside.

I guess the critical call is whether they're coated on the inside with the same stuff as the original Jerry cans were.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I have several of the Blitz ventless gas cans, and they work fine.

As for his mods,:

  1. The cans are no longer childproof.
  2. I cannot help wondering how well the rubber part of the tire valves he used will stand up to gasoline.
  3. He complains about having to turn the can vertical to get the last drop of gas out, but ISTR that the th4e same was true for the old "Jerry cans."

BTW, I don't know whether the video a home garage or a commercial workshop, but I wonder what his insurance company thinks about the amount of gas he is storing there.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

No longer "old weak hand-proof" either. But that does look like an unnecessary mod.

Good point there. I have no idea. You can get this or equivalent, drill a hole, and use a gasoline-proof epoxy to cement it in.

Really though, if I wanted a vent I'd just drill a hole and put a screw in it.

Yep.

Survivalists seem to be "self-insured."

Reply to
Vic Smith