The government ruined the gas can...

Page 6 of 7

Can't wait! Some young whippersnapper like you is gonna hafta wipe me.
nb

You can sit in your shit. You're already quite used to it, obviously.

You were talking about hand tools. Of course they don't make everything themselves (who does, or for that matter, ever did?) but they do sell excellent tools if you're willing to spend the bucks.

I'm sick of idiots who don't know what they're talking about, but that doesn't solve anything. "Lead free" <> gasohol.

I get 10% lower mileage with E10 in every car I've owned. Runs OK but it might just as well be air.

You really are an idiot.
On 05/11/13 02:51 pm, notbob wrote:

How many hours work at minimum wage (or average or median wage, if you prefer) did it take to buy one of those long-lasting refrigerators? And how many hours to buy one of the newer (allegedly) short-lifespan ones?
Perce
On Sun, 12 May 2013 15:02:22 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

Precisely!

The one where I work hard and enjoy the benefits.
If you're down on your luck I'm sorry to hear it.
--
Dan Espen

Mork, calling Obama! Come in, Obama!
Nah-noo, Nah-noo.
Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
wrote:

In what parallel universe would that be?
On 5/11/2013 12:37 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

Me either. I used to enjoy changing light bulbs much more frequently.
And I miss our 27" TV that projected 3' feet out from the wall, weighed 100lbs and consumed 200 watts. And those new flat panels that have 1080p resolution can't compare to that fuzzy old picture...
On 5/11/2013 2:08 PM, George wrote:

Ain't that the truth. I have a Panasonic flat screen I was actually hoping would go out because I wanted to get a new LCD/LED flat screen. We ended up putting it in the bedroom. It still works as good as when we bought it 10 years ago. Damn it!

I got lucky. A power surge took out the TV.

I took mine out. ...to the dump.
On 5/11/2013 11:17 AM, gonjah wrote:

Thinking the same thing.
On 05/11/13 03:08 pm, George wrote:

I don't know how recent the things are about which the OP is complaining, but every one of the items in those categories is doing just fine here: HE laundry detergent that washes clothes fine, front-load washer that uses very little water and in which water does not collect and stink (and how would the clean rinse water stink?), 1.6gpf toilets flush just fine and save water, CFL and LED bulbs illuminate just fine and save electricity(although the latter are still rather expensive), lawn mower starts first or second pull every time (has an electric starter that also works fine, but I hardly ever bother), haven't noticed any paint discoloration (but everybody knows that some colors fade more than others), refrigerator still going strong after about 8 years.
And our gas cans without vent caps work just fine -- two 6-gal. ones, three 2-gal. ones.
Perce
On Sat, 11 May 2013 16:11:04 -0400, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

After reading this thread, I took a walk around the yard and gathered up a few of my Blitz gas cans, all relatively new.

I'll open a separate thread on just the engineering issues with the Blitz design, complete with detailed pictures ...
On Monday, May 13, 2013 2:12:08 PM UTC-6, Danny D wrote:

Why would one need nine gas cans on one's property?...unless one was a firebug? Or perhaps a collector of stuff people threw away "cause it was NO DAMNED GOOD. I hate these new vent-less cans...seems to me they tried to solve a problem that didn't exist or rarely existed. I've spilled more gas with these stupid things than enough.
Re: The government ruined the gas can...:

Welcome to the Nanny State.
On Mon, 13 May 2013 15:57:47 -0500, CRNG wrote:

I think the nanny state(s), with respect to gasoline containers, are all listed here: http://ezpourspout.com/wp/order/
Namely: - California - Connecticut - Washington, DC - Delaware - Maine - Maryland - Massachusetts - New Hampshire <== this one surprises me - New Jersey - New York <== also has whacko gasoline transportation laws - Ohio - Pennsylvania - Virginia
But, I do agree: California CARB is the most idiotic.

I don't mind the ventless cans. It's the damned valve that pisses me off.
On Mon, 13 May 2013 18:32:58 -0400, krw wrote:

+1
It's worse than useless!
This is what I do with the valve when I need to fill or pour some gas:

On Mon, 13 May 2013 13:51:53 -0700, Roy wrote:

Simple. Because nine is the most I can fit in my trunk.

I wish I got them for free. They're all less than a year old. Bought them all at Lowes.

Me too.
They are designed to only half the problem, which is to hold the gas *in* the can; but they forgot the other half of the basic requirement which is to allow the gas to come *out*!
Me?
I remove the cap altogether and simply siphon the 5 gallon cans into a vehicle and pour the 2 gallon cans into a funnel for the lawn equipment. I have a 1 gallon can for the two-stroke tools.
All I need is a good flat one-piece gas cap for all of them. If only I could find it...