The crazy things you see a Home Depot

Page 3 of 3

My wife figured out a long time ago that it's going to take a lot more than some high-end stinkum to improve me.
I'm glad 'cuz I never wore the stuff.
Do you burp the alphabet, after dinner?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

No but you ought to hear my presidential introduction, Baraaaaaaacckkkkk. I'm pretty prod of it. -:)
aemeijers wrote:

No, really. If your first reaction was that the anecdote was fiction, you've probably never approached a stranger with: "What would you say if I told you I had a potato?"
That, or you're very glad to see me. When does Allen Funt appear?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 11:30:21 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

People confuse what is often used, generally used, even recommended, with what is necesary. They don't know how the stuff works; it doesn't dawn on them that they have a phone at home with only four wires, and they're doing good to remember what someone uses, no matter who.
mm wrote:

Actually, you need only two wires to make a 'phone go.
On Aug 26, 9:36am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

re: "I find it curious how someone with no technical knowledge can go from buying a stove to picking out 50ft of wire to hook it up."
Don't blame her.
There are basically three levels of knowledge:
1 - We know what we know. 2 - We know what we don't know. 3 - We don't know what we don't know.
She was at level 3: She didn't know what she didn't know.
In many instances I'm at Level 2. For example, I know that there are a multitude of wire sizes and I know that there are different specifications for different applications, but I also know that I don't always know which spec fits which application. Level 2 is an OK place to be, because as long you know that you don't know, you know that you have some homework to do.
Level 3, however, is a dangerous place. When you don't know what you don't know, you can easily assume that you *do* know.
In her case, she probably didn't even know that there was so many things that she didn't know, so buying some wire probably seemed like a simple task. Hopefully your advice moved her up to Level 2, making her realize that she was in over her head.
Level 3, however, is a dangerous place. When you don't know what you don't know, you can easily assume that you *do* know. ========== Rumsfeld syndrome!

I got a call a couple of years back, from a woman that was having wall oven problems. She had had a single wall oven, and had it replaced with a double, and every time she tried to use both, the breaker tripped. I'm scrounging around the panel trying to find the breaker, and I can't find anything. Ultimately I traced the cable back from the oven. It was a 12/2 Romex. Improperly wired even for the original oven, made twice as bad with a double. One would thing the appliance company that connected it would have had a clue.

It would be nice, if the installing company did a thorough job, and was customer service oriented. Some (Like Mark Ransley's AC company) are not that thoughtful.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
RBM wrote the following:

I bought cabinet mounted double electric ovens when re-doing the kitchen. My nephew-in-law, a long time union electrician, hooked it up. He put in two 40 amp breakers, and the supply cable was about 3/4" in diameter and looked like a black garden hose. When using both ovens, the electric meter spins like it is turbo driven
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I had the most unusual experience at a Home Despot a few day ago. I went in looking for a saw guide and had an employee to come over and show me how a product worked. He checked around at the the other HD stores looking for something I couldn't find there and offered to call Lowes.
Now, that is not the kind of service that I have come to expect from Home Despot! Don't expect that at you local HD.
Jeff

re: "Don't expect that at your local HD"
It was at my local HD that I was staring, slightly befuddled, at the assortment of Sharkbite connectors and PEX tubing. It was about to be my first foray into PEX.
A guy in an orange vest came over, asked me if I needed help and after I described what I wanted to do, he proceeded to gather all the connectors I would need and explained how to use them.
He included tips like "You can buy a cutter, but since you only need 2 cuts, just use an utility knife with a sharp blade and make sure you cut it straight."
When I went to grab the PEX I saw 10' foot strips and 100' rolls. I needed just under 20 feet, so I went to grab two 10' sections and an extra connector. He said "Don't do that. Nobody ever sees the 25' foot rolls in those boxes on the bottom shelf. Much cheaper than two 10's and the extra connector."
I was pretty impressed.
DerbyDad03 wrote the following:

Just like in everyday meetings with various people, you can't judge all people by the one you ran into. The guy in the plumbing aisle at my local HD is a retired plumber. He helped me out a lot of times. I'm often surprised that any 'associate' you ask at HD or Lowes can often direct you to the right aisle for what you want. if he/she can't, they find one who can.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY