The Blitz gasoline can - what went wrong - what needs to be fixed

Page 1 of 4
A recent thread in a.h.r blamed the government for "ruining" the portable gasoline container: TITLE: The government ruined the gas can... URL: http://tinyurl.com/cszj22e
Personally, I feel manufacturers ruined the gasoline can, simply by following only half the requirements for a gasoline can.
That half is the government requirement that the gas stay *inside* the can. Yet, the manufacturers wholly punted on the consumer's requirement that the gas flows *out* of the can!
All photos below are of the Blitz brand, since it's all I could find local Lowes hardware store, here in California anyway:

The real problem is that the engineers at Blitz designed a gas can *only* to government standards (and not to consumer needs).
For example, the government stipulated that no gas should diffuse or leak leak out of the can, even after a year in the hot sun; and, they mandated that accidental expression of the contents be prevented; and and they required child-proof caps, all of which Blitz engineered into the gas can.
But, the government didn't mandate consumer ease of use. Neither did Blitz design to any reasonable consumer use model.
The result is that Blitz engineers designed a gas can that holds gasoline *in*; but Joe Consumer can't easily get that gas *out*.
In a followup post, I'll describe what I think may be the engineer foibles that resulted, which I know many of you know full well.
I'm also well aware of the common workarounds to the problem, which I will mention later; but if you know of better solutions, now would be a good time to suggest them. The best solution of all, would be a replacement cap - so if you know of one, please let us know where to get it.
On Mon, 13 May 2013 23:20:01 +0000, Danny D wrote:

The few Blitz portable gasoline containers I own hold gasoline *in* without losing an ounce by weight even after a full year in the blazing sun, it's almost ridiculous how difficult it is to get that gasoline *out* of the poorly designed Blitz gas can!
A quick way to show how well the can holds the gasoline *in*, is simply to take two cans from the cool windowless shed, as I did just now, and put one in the sun and leave the other next to it, in the shade, for a few minutes (this was after about ten min):

Bear in mind, both those portable gasoline containers are holding a full 5 gallons, and they still balloon outward in the sun. When they're a quarter full or less, they basically blow over in the wind like a beach ball rolling about.
It should be clear that the Blitz cans are designed only to keep the gasoline *in*, but that no attention whatsoever was made to making it easy for the consumer to get the gas *out*.
For example, pour spout manipulation requires two hands alone:

The problem with that is we're talking five gallons of gasoline, which you can't hold high in the air with your pinky while you're refueling a standard-sized automobile. So, in effect, you need three hands (two to defeat the buttons, the other to fight gravity).

Worse yet, your third hand will be holding those five gallons for a long time, because there is no external vent. The internal vent only allows the gasoline to trickle out.

You'd think these handles conspicuously molded into the can would be helpful under these circumstances, but only the top handle is of any use whatsoever when there is any appreciable gas in the can: (If you don't believe me, try to use that handle & report back):

Of course, the only logical solution is to remove the button (which the manufacturer designed expecting you to do just that):

And Youtube videos exist showing where to drill the 1/2-inch hole to vent the gasoline can (again, where the manufacturer left conspicuously thick knowing full well that's what you'd do):

Since nobody on this planet can stand the pour spout, most of the time you just remove the spout in its entirety and just pour or siphon out of the open mouth of the can.

That means you'll be removing the cap a lot - so - again, the manufacturer made it painfully obvious what you have to do in order to make cap removal even close to palatable:

True to the design goal of keeping gasoline *in* the can, even if you tilt the can fully upside down, and do the Harlem Shake, you'll still *never* get all the gas *out* of the can!

Would one of the engineers on this group explain *how* it can be that the spout isn't at a point where *all* the gasoline comes out when you fully invert the gasoline can???

The result of this inexplicable design flaw is that the trapped gasoline vaporizes such that it all leaks out into the atmosphere the moment you remove the spout to refill the can.
While we're discussing engineering fixes, a little known yet very serious flaw in the Blitz spout design is that this spot tends to develop a circular crack, within only about a year of use, which again, allows all the gasoline to leak into the atmosphere:

While common workarounds exist (e.g., remove the button, cut off the ratchet lock, add a tire valve vent, etc.) the one workaround I haven't seen, since the spout is so useless, is to replace it with a plain old gasoline cap?

On Mon, 13 May 2013 23:21:29 +0000, Danny D wrote:

I'm not sure if the company will ever get out of chapter 11; but, if anyone knows of a second source for a plain old gasoline cap, we'd all benefit. http://www.blitzusa.com/chapter11filings.html
Any ideas for a plain Jane gasoline cap for the Blitz gas can?
Danny D wrote:

http://ezpourspout.bluesarthouse.ws/wp/ Works great and has fit every can I have.
On Mon, 13 May 2013 19:54:13 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

This is interesting because it provides for a second vent opening. That would be plan B, if I can't find a plain Jane gas cap to fit.
Since I siphon, I don't really need to pop a vent hole; I just need a plain gas cap.
So, plan A is a gas cap source for the Blitz USA gas cans. Plan B, if no cap can be found, is that nice spout you just found!
Thanks for the helpful information!
Danny D wrote:

They also sell plain caps. Look under the parts heading.
--
Steve W.

On Mon, 13 May 2013 20:45:45 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

I see them! I will call tomorrow to see if they fit the Blitz cans. http://ezpourspout.bluesarthouse.ws/wp/ez-pour-products/parts/
I'll say I'm from Kansas, or some other non-nanny state!
PS: Let's hope the 'gubament doesn't see this!
Danny D wrote:

You can order the "water spout" which is the same material just white in color.
The yellow cap is the one you need. Fit's blitz cans.
--
Steve W.

Because they sell it for containers made -before- 2009. In other words it works because it doesn't meet the regs. See it's up to you not use it on containers made after 2009....
On 5/14/2013 1:17 AM, Brent wrote:

I have only dealt with a few but the thread size on the pre 2009 cans is different than the post 2009 "new style" cans. Likely intentional to prevent the use of older accessories.
On Tue, 14 May 2013 07:00:13 -0400, George wrote:

I had a few older gas cans lying around and none fit the California 2011 & 2012 Blitz cans I have, so that's why I'm leery also.
However, I'll order a dozen of the B4 caps ($5 + shipping) to see if they fit & report back when they arrive.
Danny D wrote:

They are available in some retail stores as well as online. I picked mine up at a Tractor Supply. Might want to check that avenue first, they list the retail stores on the site.
On the ones I have I measured up the original spout and discovered the new ones were the same as far as the seal and seat area, the hole in the cap was the same as well. Bit of surgery later and the new spout was secured with the old cap retainer ring.
The newest can I have is one of the dopey lever style and the yellow ring included did fit it, but the original had a locking tab.
You could also do what I used to do to have a plain cap, cut a piece of stainless with a holesaw and use an O ring to seal it inside the original cap.
--
Steve W.

On Tue, 14 May 2013 11:01:28 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

in California when I looked at your original link.

That's an interesting idea. A circular piece of gasoline-stable sheet material inside the original spout cap. That might work.
That will be plan C, if the caps I ordered don't actually fit.
PS: I can't be the only one who hates those spouts enough to find a cap that fits, so, if others have tested various other cap suppliers - now is the time to report it to the news group.

From the few I have tried, the compliant cans take a different size cap. They changed the size.
Harry K
On Tue, 14 May 2013 10:38:47 -0700, Harry K wrote:

That's exactly been my experience but I had never researched the caps thoroughly before. I just used the spouts as caps.
But it would really be nice to find the 'right' sized cap.
After speaking to CARB today (Angus 916-445-4686), it looks like the big four gas can manufacturers in the USA are: Midwest Can Co. of Melrose Park, Ill. No-Spill Inc. of Lenexa, Kan. Scepter Corp. of Scarborough, Ontario Plastics Group Inc. of Willowbrook, Ill.
Since the Plastics Group apparently bought the Blitz manufacturing operation for gasoline cans, I'll start with them. http://www.theplasticsgroup.net/fuel_containers_us.php
Looks like this is their contact information: http://www.theplasticsgroup.net/contact-us.php 630-325-1210 x295, mdeckard at the plastics group dot net
Some of my 5 gallon plastic gas cans happen to be the same size and threads of a briggs & stratton lawnmower engine. I swapped them by accident:( and the sealed cap killed the engine pretty quick.
I have thouggt about replacing my bad caps, 2 lost:( one cracked with those lawnmower gas tank caps. Although they have a automated vent for high pressure. I have never been fond of swollen gasoline cans that look like a over filled balloon:(
On Tue, 14 May 2013 12:33:51 -0700, bob haller wrote:

Bad news on Blitz.
I called the Plastics Group at 630-325-1210 x295 http://www.theplasticsgroup.net/contact-us.php
That extension was invalid, but I spoke to a representative who said *nobody* bought the molds that Blitz used on their gas cans.
The lady (I forgot to get her name) said that all the molds could be different but they themselves might re-use their own molds for their Briggs & Stratton engines (she wasn't sure). So that would explain how a Briggs & Stratton engine can use the same cap threads as a gas can from The Plastics Group.
Regarding the Blitz manufacturing operation, the lady said nobody bought the molds because then they'd be subject to the lawsuits; so, in the end, it looks like there is no way to get a *direct* replacement cap.
The only option left is to see if someone else's threads *fit* the Blitz gasoline cans. That's going to be left to trial & error.

Now that there are do-it-yourself manufaturing of plastic parts machines readily available, maybe someone will come up with a design for a cap with the needed thread dimensions and make it available on the internet. If they can illegally make crappy-firing guns that way, they should be able to make a gas can cap, legal or otherwise..
On Tue, 14 May 2013 13:34:35 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

I don't disagree.
I have two sources of caps on the way, so I'll run my test. If we all pitch in where we can, we'll solve the problem.
As far as I can tell (by calling CARB), the cap is perfectly legal for filling, transportation, and for storage; so it's not a question of legality.
It's simply a question of fit.
On Tue, 14 May 2013 20:54:10 +0000, Danny D wrote:

Bad news on finding a simple one-piece Blitz replacement cap:

The Hopkins Manufacturing Corporation 855-708-6333 yellow *water* jug caps arrived in the mail today - and they are far too small.