The Amish are back.......

http://www.coolsurge.com/index.cfm
That's how evolution works. Anybody dumb enough to believe this nonsense and spend good money on this simple fan, will be deprived of his money. Thus he will be unable to buy food and perish. He will not replicate his (dumb) genes. That's how the human race gets upgraded.
We should be grateful to the Amish for providing these miracles of heating and cooling technology. :-)
--
Walter
www.rationality.net
Walter R. wrote:

I think it's more than just a fan.
A newspaper ad about it I read last week makes it sound like you have to freeze some liquid filled plastic containers like the kind you'd place in with stuff in a cooler box. And then stick them inside the thing.
They nicely avoid mentioning the energy used to freeze those things in your kitchen fridge, or the space they probably take up in the freezer compartment while you're doing that.
"There's a sucker born every minute."...But according to this link, it wasn't Barnum who said that.
http://www.historybuff.com/library/refbarnum.html
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
jeff_wisnia wrote:

cooler" which actually works in low humidity high-heat conditions. It is notably useless in a higher humidity situation.
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/home/2009/06/cool-surge-portable-air-cooler-consumer-reports-review-swamp-cooler-heat-surge-universal-techtronics.html
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 06:31:59 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrowbOGZJwg

There are quite a number of differences.
Mr.Spock wrote:

amish don't wear buttons? i didn't know that..
maybe i should learn things from a better source then youtube?
--
target="_top">FatLoss4Idiots</a>

Weird Al wouldn't lie to you.

As George said, it's just a swamp cooler. They are very useful in some circumstances and nearly useless in others. But if it's a hot summer day and you're working in your garage, or if you are on the sidelines of a football game, they work pretty well. If you are at 100F and 95% humidity, they aren't so good.

They should be ashamed of themselves.
Yeah, some company fraudulently using the Amish good reputation to hawk their junk. Shame on the company.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I find it odd that anyone would click on a post with only a link for content from an unfamiliar (to me anyway) poster.
Red Green wrote:

Not everyone is ate up with paranoia .

A bucket of ice with a fan blowing on it might be as good. CR magazine said it might only cool a room 2 degress, not the 10 advertised. Evaporating water and raising the humidity could make you less comfortable, and the price they charge for that junk!
Two things of note:
1) Other than a mailing address in Ohio, the web site makes no suggestion I can find of any relation to the Amish. I think the OP was making a joke about the level of technology used by this device. I would be surprised if it's not made in China.
2) It's not JUST an evaporative cooler, it also uses blocks of "ice" to absorb heat from the room. Of course, they don't mention that unless your freezer is outside it will return all that heat to the air in the kitchen, plus some extra heat from running the compressor.