Dissolving shower necks

Had a leaky shower, found it was the shower neck leaking right where it went into the elbow. As I unscrewed it, it snapped easily at the threads. Now, this is the SECOND time in about 8 years this has happened. The plumbing is copper, and the necks are chromed whatever. My house water is slightly acidic.

Is there a better repair for this, so I don't have to do it again? Is there a neck made that won't be this prone to corroding through?

Thanks,

Kelly

Reply to
Kelly Jones

Plastic of some kind?

Reply to
HeyBub

I would suspect that the old necks were some sort of zinc alloy which would corrode rapidly with copper piping and acidic water. Try to find a neck made of brass or bronze to solve the problem.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 18:02:23 -0700, Kelly Jones wrote Re Dissolving shower necks:

If your water is acidic and you have copper pipe, the pipes will eventually fail. Acid dissolves copper. When you get a chance, check the thickness of the copper pipe walls. They are getting thinner.

The only solution is a neutralizing filter where the water main enters the house, e.g.

there are many manufacturers of such filters.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

I've got same problem having replaced a couple of necks over 30 year period. My well water pH is about 6.5 and shower necks are flimsy and corrode. I have considered neutralizing but figure it would be just another device to have problems with. I read that copper pipes have a life expectancy of 60 years. Whenever mine go, I'll convert to PEX.

Reply to
Frank

Yep. I just bought an inexpensive tub/shower set for a home I am rehabing, and the shower neck was heavy plastic. Nice chrome, looks just like a metal one.

Reply to
DT

Sadly, many spouts, arms, and feed lines are now plastic. If you want a shower arm that lasts, select a solid brass one.

Reply to
Phisherman