Leaky shower

I've got one of those standard Temptrol shower controls, where you dial the triangular temperature knob counter clockwise to desired temp. When we dial it back to the "12 o'clock" (i.e. off) position, the faucet still drips. Not sure how to replace or fix this type of fixture - can someone offer any advice?

Thanks in advance,

-Dave

Reply to
Dave DesRoches

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I seem to have me a leaky shower stall...

It's lined with ceramic tiles, both the floor and the walls, there's a single drain in the center of the stall. The bathroom is upstairs, above the garage, which is finished with drywall, including the ceiling. A few weeks ago I noticed some water stains on the ceiling in the garage right below where the shower is, so I cut a large-ish square hole, and it was indeed wet. Through the hole I see the joists, supporting OMB boards. I guess those OMB boards are the floor of the bathroom. I see the drain pipe coming from the shower and going wherever it goes, but the pipe feels dry to the touch. I don't see leaks at the elbow joining the pipe coming down from the drain to the one going sideways. The OMB board was damp to the touch.

I took out the grille covering the drain, and looked down the pipe. I didn't see anything other than, well, white PVC pipe.

I didn't use the shower for a few weeks to let things dry out, meanwhile I applied some silicone caulking around where the drain fixture joins the floor tiles (the drain fixture is plastic), and at all around where the floor and walls join (the grout didn't look broken at all, but I figured it couldn't hurt...)

A few days ago I resumed using the shower, and the OMB board feels damp again.

What steps could I take next to troubleshoot this, besides calling a plumber?

Thanks,

-jav

Reply to
Javier

Have some one take a shower while you look from below

Reply to
beecrofter
1: Check for cracks in the grout of the ceramic tile. Small cracks developed leaks in mine.
  1. Check for leaking pipe connections, faucets, etc.
  2. Check for seal around faucet escutche>I seem to have me a leaky shower stall...

Cheers, Joe

Reply to
Joe

I would try plugging the drain from the top with a rubber ball or stopper and then filling the shower a couple of inches. Check downstairs. If you get a heavy leak, then the issue is around the drain entrance and you may be in for some tile work. If it only leaks once you take the ball out and the water rushes through, then your issue is in the joint. (easy fix from below).

good luck

Reply to
Frank

If you are lucky, you have a leak in the drain piping, or around the faucet controls or where the shower head screws into the wall. More likely, you have a failure of the shower pan, which would require tearing the shower floor apart and rebuilding it. Searching on mud set shower repair or tile shower repair might get you more info.

for instance.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F