That'll be 69 dollars

Page 1 of 2

I was really pissed today. I have a 2000 Chevy S10 pick up. I rarely use it and ity only has 35k miles on it. Any way after a period of non use (about 3 months) I turned the engine on this morning and got red light flashing on the dash saying Check Engine for Service. Now accordingf to the maintenance book I have the only service this vehicle needs now is oil changes, air filter and pvc valve changes, The light COULD be indicative of the onboard computer reporting something more serious with the engine. So I took the truck on down to the Chevy dealer today to have them check it out. 6 hour later I went back to pick up the truck and was nothing wrong with the truck, just a stuck wiring, which they unstuck and for a diagnostic check on the computer charged me 69 dollars for. fuckin' computers.........!!!

see the irony, or is it? LOL

Too bad you didn't know this before now, but at least you will the next time: most of the major chain auto parts stores (AutoZone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly, etc) will read the "Check Engine" codes for you for FREE. Of course, then you get to fix the problem, too...
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

My mechanic doesn't charge for checking computer.
did you tell them you like to be kissed when you get fucked
wrote: | > | >>I was really pissed today. I have a 2000 Chevy S10 pick up. I rarely | >>use it and ity only has 35k miles on it. Any way after a period of non | >>use (about 3 months) I turned the engine on this morning and got red | >>light flashing on the dash saying Check Engine for Service. Now | >>accordingf to the maintenance book I have the only service this vehicle | >>needs now is oil changes, air filter and pvc valve changes, The light | >>COULD be indicative of the onboard computer reporting something more | >>serious with the engine. So I took the truck on down to the Chevy | >>dealer today to have them check it out. 6 hour later I went back to | >>pick up the truck and was nothing wrong with the truck, just a stuck | >>wiring, which they unstuck and for a diagnostic check on the computer | >>charged me 69 dollars for. fuckin' computers.........!!! | >> | > | > Too bad you didn't know this before now, but at least you will the next time: | > most of the major chain auto parts stores (AutoZone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly, | > etc) will read the "Check Engine" codes for you for FREE. Of course, then you | > get to fix the problem, too... | > | My mechanic doesn't charge for checking computer.
Norminn wrote:

Oops.....just checked with the boss. $60 for computer check, $4,000 machine plus annual upgrades for new cars.

Exactly! Computers and diag's aint cheap, think a plumber would diagnose a problem for less?
"Al" wrote

I didn't know plumbers would diagnose check engine lights. :o)
Doug said:
- Most of the major chain auto parts stores (AutoZone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly, etc) will read the "Check Engine" - codes for you for FREE.
Unfortunately, you've worded that correctly. They will *read* the codes for free. AFAIK, they are no longer allowed to reset them. At least that's what the AutoZone's near me have told me. Maybe it's just that chain's policy....I haven't had to check a code since I donated my 97 Dodge. My Dodge would annoyingly report a 6th cylinder misfire after long (150+ miles) trips, so I would take it in every now and then to have the light reset. (No other symptoms, just the light) Sometime last year I was told they couldn't reset the light anymore, they could only tell people what was the code read.
I recently bought an 04 Honda and got their equivalent of the Check Engine Light at 24K, but it was just for the scheduled maintenance. How do I know? The owner's manual tells you how to reset the light via some buttons on the dashboard. So when the light comes on at the milage intervals listed in the book, I can reset it. If it doesn't come back on due a persistant fault, then it was just for the scheduled maintenance.
Before you ask, I should mention that my idea of when to change the oil, rotate the rubber, and do the other items on the maintenance chart is usually sooner than what the book calls for, so I'm doing the things the light tells me to do, I'm just doing it on my own schedule. Since the early 60's I've never gotten rid of car with less than 150K, so I think my schedule has worked pretty good.
On Jan 27, 5:40 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

AutoZone loans tools, including code scanners. You can get one of their loaner scanners, read the codes yourself, reset them if you wish, whatever.
--
Regards,
Or, you could just be happy that it wasn't a big deal and that you're out $69.

Why a dealer? Chances are, a local shop would have been cheaper. I never go to the dealer unless it is warranty work.
This now seems the norm with american car manufacturers-dealers, that they will get you at both ends, when they sell you the vehicle, and then when it needs service-parts.
Next time this happens my friend, disconnect your Battery for 20-30 seconds, and then reconnect. This normally will clear the computer, and the "Service Engine Soon" Light, and all you'll have to do after that is re-set your clock.
Most likely what happened that after sitting so long, there was a slight misfire, or slightly running rough upon start-up, and the Computer saw this as a problem. It has happened to me. After sitting too, the gas starts getting a little crappy. Throw some fresh gas, and try to drive it more often, even if it's just for a few miles every week. Hope this helps. Mark

Thats a great solution, up there with putting a sticker over the light so you don't see it. The light is on for a reason. It might not be an important reason (mine comes on every 500-1000 miles because the gas cap isn't tight enough) but a reason.

But it is also true that it could have come on for a condition that existed only temporarily and on some cars the light will not go back off even if the original reason it came on no longer exists. If there is a "real and persistent" reason for it to be on then resetting it will be temporary and it will come back on again.

Yep, mine will do that too. The "check engine" light will come on due to an emissions problem. As it turns out the gas cap is a little loose. Tighten the cap and within a day or two the light will go out.
-Felder

You should get it checked out. I ignored my light for about 1 month. Then I got it checked and found out the transmission was "shot". I had to get a new one. The prior owner did something with the tranny. The dealer was pissed off because I had an extended warranty and got the new one for free.

Why would the dealer be unhappy? The warranty pays HIM to do the work.
CWM

True, but usually at reduced rates. Not just cars, but any warranty work for many appliances and machines is usually break even.

Really depends on where you are. In some states, there are laws that warranty work must be paid at the same rate as "over the counter" repairs. In any event, warantee work is a major revenue stream for car dealers even at reduced rates. It's not anywhere near "break even". I worked for a company that's business was almost exclusively warranty repairs for consumer electronics. They made lots of money.
CWM