Termites - I'm sure you get this quaestion all the time :)

Hello, all. I'm a lurker and although I've done plenty of searching in the archives for an answer, I'm still not sure of the right course of treatment for my house. Thank you in advance for your help.

Here's my current situation.

I live in the Dallas area. I was mowing my lawn and a small tree stump (about 4 inches diameter) get upturned by my lawnmower. This stump is about 10-15 feet from the house. It was covered in termites. I've inspected around my slab foundation and did not notice any mud tubes. I've been very careful as a homeowner not to keep wood up against the house. The closest thing I have is a cedar fence post 5" from the side of a wall and a 4" landscaping timber end-butted (4" cross-section) to a small part of the foundation with a 1" gap. My slab foundation is exposed the entire way around my house with about an 8" rise to the brick. The house only has external wood around trim and soffits.

I've had several companies out. The first was my regular pest service whom I've been using happily for 2 year for ants, spiders and the like. The do sentricon baiting and are talking about $275 up front with about a $120 bimonthly fee in perpetuity.

I've also had others out promoting termidor trenching. These have come in at about $1500 or so.

One independent exterminator didnt even come out. When we described the problem, he said "Pull the stump. Go to home depot, buy some spray and spray the area. Get some sleep and don't worry about it." This was rather suprising as you can imagine.

Given that it doesn't seem like the house has been infected yet, which method would you say is the best choice?

the $1500 seems excessive, the "pull the stump and don't worry" seems haphazard, and the baiting systems don't seem effective considering what I've read on the internet.

Screw it, I'm burning down the house and getting an apartment :)

Reply to
junk

I agree with the independent exterminator - you're worrying too much. Termites go to a food source. The stump was and your house is not. Keep checking for mud tubes and quit worrying.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

In article , snipped-for-privacy@kreusch.com says... :) I've had several companies out. The first was my regular pest service :) whom I've been using happily for 2 year for ants, spiders and the like. :) The do sentricon baiting and are talking about $275 up front with about :) a $120 bimonthly fee in perpetuity. :) :) I've also had others out promoting termidor trenching. These have come :) in at about $1500 or so. :) :) One independent exterminator didnt even come out. When we described the :) problem, he said "Pull the stump. Go to home depot, buy some spray and :) spray the area. Get some sleep and don't worry about it." This was :) rather suprising as you can imagine. :) :) Given that it doesn't seem like the house has been infected yet, which :) method would you say is the best choice? :) :) the $1500 seems excessive, the "pull the stump and don't worry" seems :) haphazard, and the baiting systems don't seem effective considering :) what I've read on the internet. :) :)

In our area there is estimated to be 7-14, established termite colonies per acre. So finding them in the yard is to be expected. If you chose to do nothing, I would do just that, nothing. Do not pour any insecticides on the stump, you won't be killing the colony, just having them avoid treated area..they still will be feeding on the roots of the tree stump a few more inches deeper.

Assuming the home is on a slab, it is possible that termites are active in areas out of sight, such as around the bath trap area or have come up around the plumbing and are working inside the walls undetected, but if this is the case even if they are found a couple of years later damage will still be minimal. If you are wanting to do a preventative type service I would not go the way of the baits...way too much money for no more results. Termidor would be the only product I'd use (do use) and have yet to have a call back on any home treated with it, even when applied as a perimeter only type treatment, though I would suggest having the bath traps opened and treated. As far as $1500...keep looking I don't think I have even charged that much on any of the homes in the Park cities for preventative treatments. A home with a 2000 sq ft foundation can be done on average with a perimeter plus treatment around $800-$900(on the high side) for the initial treatment and probably less than $125 per year to keep the warranty.

Reply to
Lar

The termites belong in the ground and in dead stumps. They are everywhere, and are supposed to be everywhere. You sound like you are taking good preventive measures. I believe in annual termite inspections, but I think an informed homeowner is likely to do better. Ours have been pretty cursory, including when I sold a house. I fixed a plumbing access panel so we can take it off easily and check in there as well .. around pipes and other entries through slab or wall. Be watchful, also, for signs of swarms .. shed wings around windows and doors. When inspecting for termites, tap on exposed wood around doors or windows, checking for hollow sounding wood. Keep exterior wood painted.

Reply to
Norminn