Paper As a filler

When I did some joint compound patch up work to plug up some holes in the drywall I quickly realized that it may not be smart to do so? I used newspaper to plug up most of the hole and then filled the rest with joint compound.

What are the downsides to this, if any?

Thanks

Reply to
OFM

FIRE NESTING MATERIAL FOR MICE

Reply to
robson

If anyone applies pressure to that spot, it's probably going to fall apart.

I'm at a loss to understand why you wouldn't have either grabbed a book from the library, or simply gone to Google and searched for "how to patch holes in drywall".

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The OP may have been talking about a fairly small hole, half inch or less. I have done the same thing myself on occasion, filling a hole left after removing a toggle bolt or drywall screw anchor. Wad up a little bit of newspaper, jam it in the hole tightly, makes a nice backing for the drywall mud.

Of course, anything much bigger calls for more conventional repair methods.

Jerry

Reply to
jerry_maple

He most likely already had the newspaper on hand.

Reply to
lwasserm