Termite question

Called two pest control companies after finding termite sawdust on my carport from wood that has previous damage. One company said that the sawdust was more than likely from white-footed ants displacing the material by crawling through channels created by previous termites which were treated long ago. He said I didn't need to treat for termites, but that I do for the ants.
The other said there is no way the sawdust came from ants displacing it and that the sawdust was evidence of a current infestation, which would obviously need to be treated.
Neither guy actually inspected the wood.
I'm inclined to think that there are termites since every few years this same area seems to get them in it, but I also wonder if it's possible for ants to displace old material from the pre-existing damage.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thanks...

Do you see any termite tubes look like 1/4" dirt trails. on the side of the foundation. From my experience tearing one of my houses apart from termite infestation what you see on the outside is nothing compared to the damage that can excist. Most people think they eat from the outside of the wood in not true the tunnel right threw the wood. I took 2X4's out that looked fine but the inside was just powder but the stud next to it was untouched. You might want to do a web search on them to see what your up against if you have termites, might be ants beetles. Now hear is some good advice when talking to the bug hunters they are going to want to set you up with a monthly service that's how they make there money. They also push the termite baiting system this is nothing but a make sleep good at night thing. Most honest bug hunters will tell you it's a waste of money. If you do have termites look into this product Thermidor it's not an over the counter item, not cheap but from my search about the best. I will also suggest calling more pest companies, For what it's worth Terminex was the worst of them the inspector actually crawled over a termite tube missing it ( I was right next to him) he also jammed his head under a duct shouting there really bad in hear( when I removed the duct not one to be found or damage) now hears the best part I kid you not the guy pulled a loan application out of his pocket. Like I say do your homework don't panic they eat slow, I was told buy one inspector seemed very honest did the best inspection they have been in my house for years just from the visible damage he said waiting 6 month would not make a dereference. Hears how bad the termite damage was in my house I noticed a dent in the drywall when I leaned on it they wear eating the paper between the paint an gypsum.
don't you know what fucking PARAGRAPHS are ??
or the logical grouping of ideas.
- into the kill file

the
termite
in
fine
termite
item,
the
bad
been

Thank you LOW END TROLL
What an idiot you are!

Sacramento Dave wrote:

You are describing subterranean termites..the poster may be having dry wood termites, no mud tubes at all.
Lar
al wrote:

What part of the carport? Ground level? Attached to house? Wood painted or in bad shape? Did you check the sawdust yourself? What color? Did you poke at the wood to see if you could root out termites? If you have termites, the wood is likely to be hollow sounding or chewed up enough that, by probing with an awl or screw driver, you can open it up and see what is in it.
In FL, carpenter ants often move into termite chambers. Check with you county or state extension service - ours has a full-time bug expert.
al wrote:

Sawdust? From termites?
Why would a termite throw out perfectly good food?
Think carpenter ant.
HeyBub wrote:

Dry wood termites excrete loose pellets that can pile up like the frass of carpenter ants.
Lar
alt.consumers.pest-control>

Crossposted to alt.consumers.pest-control
In what state do you live?
Can you post some pics of the "sawdust"?
Can you describe any earlier treatment/s; technique, material, dates? -----
- gpsman

I am in Florida and the only way I knew I had termites was when they started swarming. They were in the carpet tack strip ... there was a very small crack in the floor. Anyway, there was no sawdust. We had had the house inspected and there was no sign of termites. That particular year they were all over my neighborhood.
When we lived in Georgia we had something called "powder puff beetles" and they left trails of sawdust where they ate the wood trim. This was back in the 60s when the house was new and they still used the kind of termite poison that lasted 25 years....we didn't have termites but sure had those beetles for awhile.
clipped

Swarms might mean they have just arrived, as swarmers are new mates looking to set up housekeeping. Not a sure sign they have been there long enough to do damage.
If you inspect the area where you think there is an infestation, you should be able to find other signs - mud tubes (if close to the ground), slight blistery or wavy appearance of surface, hollow sound when hit. Termite damaged wood will usually pick apart easilly with a tool or just fingers; they burrow close to the surface but don't break through the surface because they don't like daylight. Indoors, check especially around doors and windows for shed wings, the same slightly irregular surface of wood and wallboard, hollowed out wood trim. Termies will eat paper coating of wallboard, but don't eat through paint (hint!). Bare wood or wood in contact with ground increase the threat greatly. Any homeowner can be as competent at finding termite signs as a pro; just need to know what to look for and how to prevent.
Powder post beetles? Have no idea what they look like, but your extension service likely knows the predominant pests of your neighborhood.
Norminn wrote:

Swarms in a house are from termite colonies at least 4-5 years old. It doesn't mean the termites have been eating on the home that long but the colony now eating on the home is at least that old.

only for subterranean termites

sure they will. they won't eat a pinted surface for nutrition but they will eat through it for sure. Many people have mud swarm castles appear on sheet rock walls
Lar
Dottie wrote:

"Powder post beetles" and they are a pain....
Lar
wrote: <crossposted to

Could also be carpenter ants

(south) Florida

No, but the "sawdust" is really digested wood or termite excrement and is the same color as the exposed stained wood appearance beams in the ceiling. Interestingly, the stuff is showing up in the same area where there were lots of white footed ants until I sealed off their entry into the wall and applied a bait which seems to have worked, at least temporarily. And since having cleaned up the material that was there a few days ago, no more has appeared... yet.

Tented 7 or 8 years ago. I have also sprayed the ceiling myself with an Ortho termite pesticide myself maybe 4 years ago.
Thanks...
al wrote:

It's impossible to get a for sure answer without looking at the wood, but yes many types of ants will move into old termite damaged wood and create debris piles. Dry wood termites also may create loose debris piles of their excrement. The termite excrement will look all the same...disk shaped, pretty much the same size and shape. Ant frass will be a mixture of rotted wood, shed cocoon skin that look like wood chips, dead insect parts. A mixture of different sizes and shaped particles.
Lar