Tennis Balls in dryer?

The morning paper suggested putting 3 new tennis balls in when you dry clothes. They will absorb moisture and significally shorten the drying time.
That strikes me as insane. Why on earth would they absorb that much moisture? And even if they did, how could they save enough energy to pay for the balls?
Comments?
toller wrote:

I would think you could accomplish the same thing with a few towels. Of course adding towels or tennis balls will absorb moisture and then you will need to dry the tennis balls or the towels, which will add at least as much time as it saved.
If you like the tennis ball idea, I have a puerperal motion machine for sale. :-)
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Your not the only one

You don't want to absorb moisture, you want to send it out the vent.
Otherwise, you'd end up with some really soggy tennis balls.
The nap on a tennis ball isn't gonna hold more than a fraction of a spoonful of water, no where near enough to dry a load of clothes.

I have a down comforter (and a couple of down coats) that I put a couple tennis balls in with when drying. It helps to keep them "fluffed' so they don't get "clumped" areas in the down pockets.....

this is the deal... it also works with things like jeans and sweaters. its not that they absorb anything, they just keep things fluffed more so the dryer can work more efficiently. or so my mom says..
randy
No need to hit the sporting goods store either. A clean sneaker works just as well. :) Lor

toller wrote:

must make a nice noise, though, kinda like putting sneakers in the dryer, only a little quieter. Maybe a tennis racket or two would help as much? Here's a hint I heard one time. If you are a baseball hat collector and they are getting a little dusty and grimey, the best way to wash them is on the top tray of a dishwasher. I don't wear any hats, so I can't vouch for the results.

I've got a plastic form that the hat goes in so you can wash it in the dishwasher. Works OK. Keeps the hat shaped while it is being washed.
--

Dave in Columbus

Most new hats use plastic in the visors now. They used to use cardboard. I throw mine right int he washer with no problems and they come out clean.
toller wrote:

I've heard about putting a couple of tennis shoes in when drying pilllows and comforters. But tennis balls??? Nah!!
Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Try rocks , for that 'Rock wash " look . Or bricks.

This simply would not work. Tennis balls do not hold much water, nor do they act like a sponge. But, they may help keep the clothes circulating better, and thus the clothes may dry faster. I do not recommend using tennis balls in a heated dryer. However, I do use three tennis balls and the "no heat" setting for 15 minutes to fluff feather pillows, comforters, and down jackets.