Wooden Balls???

Does anyone know where I can get 3 to 4 inch hard wood balls from?

Reply to
Gregg

*lengthy list of sophmoric comments deleted*
Reply to
Charles Krug

Seriously, you might try an arcade that has those bowling games where you try to roll a ball into concentric rings for points and tickets. Some of them still use the old wooden balls. Most use plastic these days.

Would crocquet balls work for you? They're 3.58" diameter, available in wood.

Reply to
Dhakala

Skee-ball. Used to play it when I was a kid and we went out to Coney Island. Amazingly enough, googling for "skee ball" will come up with quite a few hits.

Reply to
Roy Smith

Hax Planx

What do you bet that's what he wants them for?

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

Awwww! However, do any of you remember this thread about wooden balls?

Message 1 of 16

Thanks to all who responded to my search for my balls (1/2" birch ones......). Per many recommendations, they were located at a hobby shop, and for much much less than either Rockler or Woodcraft wanted (no shipping charges either!!).

Now I just need to find that magazine that had the jig design in it for boring holes in a sphere.... Yup, now I need to drill holes in my balls. Life is never simple.....

Thanks again

Rob

Message 2 of 16

Just relax and take yer time, Rob. The more you tense up, the more your hands will perspire. And there's nothing worse than sweaty balls when you're trying to make a good impression. :-)

---Dave

Message 3 of 16

yur killin' me here!!

Rob

Message 4 of 16

Rob, if you have a drill press, drill a hole about a half the diameter of your balls in a board clamped to the table of the drill press. The hole will position your balls for accurate drilling. No jig needed.

Doug, in Arkansas, where once in awhile, life is simple.

Message 5 of 16

Thanks Doug, I'll try that....

Rob

Message 6 of 16

Wait a minute... isn't that board ya just clamped and drilled a jig? So while there was no need to pay money to get Rob's balls properly serviced, it does take a bit of investment right there in his own home... and that's how it ought to be. Right Doug?

Rob, make sure to properly secure your balls before drilling them. There's nothing worse than your partially-drilled balls spinning freely. Use neoprene/cork backed pads for clamping your balls. You don't want to crush them.

Good luck with your balls, Rob. You'll find that a spit coat of shellac will dramatically reduce moisture exchange, and keep your balls nicely rounded, symmetrical and shapely.

O'Deen

Message 7 of 16

We've got more pun-overuse here than the local news! Not that I'm trying to ball anyone out or anything...

Message 8 of 16

Weeeell, bring somepin' 'round and we'll have a ball.

Aaaarrrr, aaarrr.

j4

Message 9 of 16

I'm trusting this is experience talking here Paddy ;)

Rob

Message 10 of 16

Whew! For a minute, there, I was afraid this thread would degenerate into an off-color joke! It's good to know that folks on the wreck won't stoop to that level, just for a cheap laugh! :>)

Kevin

Message 11 of 16

Yeah, I know, it was close wasn't it!!

Rob

Message 12 of 16

By the way, the jig you were looking for was in a recent issue of WOOD magazine.

PhillyMike - Electrical Inspector

Message 13 of 16

Thanks Mike, I'll go a'lookin'

Rob

Message 14 of 16

I have never read a thread where I actually held my legs together so tightly! LOL!

Jim Mc Namara

Message 15 of 16

yeah, well squeeze buddy! I not only found my balls, I managed to drill holes in them whilst pinching them between my fingers!! Now they're all drilled, polished, sanded and mounted on top of sticks as they were intended to be!

Rob

Message 16 of 16

Where will your wife put them? Either side of the front door like scalps on a tipi or are they just for her and your daughter to beat you with?

(not certain who the author of this last message was, maybe Jummy)

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

A really big cigar store indian???

Bill

Reply to
Bill B

Wanna bet that's what he wants them for?

Reply to
fredfighter