temco wall heater

Moving into an old house, found a Temco? surface mount Wall heater. It seems to be gas fired. How does this heater work? There is currently no electricity in the house, yet the heater is hot. But I don't think there is any flame. It does have an AC plug, which I assume is for a fan- I'll know when the power comes on. TIA Michael Muderick
I grew up (well, spent my childhood...) in a house that had gas fired wall heaters, no blower, though. The thermostat simply works off of the milivolt electricity generated by the flame (I think) and the gas burners are beneath a heat exchanger tube.
My Mother loved these heaters. On a cold day she would simply back up to the heater, and toast her backside. Nice and cozy.
I have no idea how efficient they are, but they sure can warm up a house! Oh, by the way, I remember that they would pop and make a lot of noise as the metal expanded.