Telephone poles

I am thinking of making an observation tower. I have a source for cheap or free telephone poles.
Anyone ever use telephone poles for deck/tower construction?
Caveats?
Steve

White cellon poles tend to snap when stressed. And are also bitches to climb.
Give me a creosote pole any day.
DCT Dictator wrote:

I used to hate gray poles, green poles and thankfully, never had to climb Black Diamonds. Not very comfortable on a gray or green when your hook only goes in 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch!
SteveB wrote:

Yup. We used to use old poles for helicopter pads at remote construction sites. Poles and crossarms. If you want to stick a cut end into the earth, treat it first.

You mean, sort of like this?
http://www.firelookout.org/towers/ri/skingstown.htm
No, nobody ever does that.

Yes, but perhaps a bit bigger and more complex.....................