Where to buy or rent telephone poles?

Folks -

This came up recently as I am planning on moving my woodshed a few meters so I can put a nice slab foundation under it. In every description of how to do this, I am reading that rollers need to be used and that telephone poles make good rollers.

Where or who do you get telephone poles from?

--dan

Reply to
Dan

Telephone poles are not my idea of the ideal roller for that purpose. Perhaps if I were going to be moving something REALLY heavy, but sheds are not that heavy. Telephone poles are very heavy and hard to maneuver.

PVC schedule 40 pipe has always been good to me for that purpose. It is cheap, lightweight and pretty darn strong. If you could find some schedule 80, it would be better, but it is much more expensive. I use 4" because it is so easy to get and cheap. I have a few pieces of 6" that work really well, but they are pretty expensive in comparison.

We moved a 16' x 24' portable building easily with 10 joints of 4". Used three guys and some 4x4s to pry it along the ground. Moved it about 45' with ease.

Reply to
Robert Allison

I haven't done it, but other than that, I agree with you.

Like you say, for something really heavy they would be good. It's a little known fact that the Sphinx was originallly built 200 yeards to the south and had to be moved to its present position. They used telephone poles

But in case someone really has a need for tp, I think the place to get them is at the phone company. Some people I knew thought they needed one, and it only cost 10 dollars for a used telephone pole.

Unfortunately, it cost them 50 or 100 to have it erected.

Later they switched to 2" steel piple of some sort, which cost maybe

20 or 30 dollars but could be erected by two people, who didn't even have to be very strong. But now I've been talking ab out vertical, and the thread was about rolling.
Reply to
mm

Ahhhhhh, Duhhhhhhhhh....... Think about this question once..........

They're inside of your telephone. Carefully open the telephone and the poles will be inside. Generally there are two of them in each telephone.

Reply to
alvinamorey

Carr & Duff has them

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

WHere I live the township maintains a free woodchip pile/recycling center. There is also a section for telephone poles. The only stipulation was you could not cut them up on premise. Kinda makes it hard to cart them away and there aren't to many takers.

Reply to
jmagerl

I didn't realize they had telephones back then!

Reply to
salty

Sure, and since the telephone was not yet invented, they were bought up by the Sphinx moving company to use as rollers. Now that the telephone is in use, you can't by a Sphinx roller anywhere. Meantime, my Sphinx is out of position and I can't find any way to move it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You mean those things they show on TV that you can put under couches and move them around won't work on a Sphinx? I wonder if the FTC knows about this.. .

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Telephone poles? Gadzooks..don't need those unless you are building the

8th wonder of the world. Try this:

Get some old wooden pallets, enough for the shed to sit on. Get a couple of long pipes or pvc to roll the shed onto the pallets. Lay your slab. Wait. Roll shed back onto the slab. Never tried it, but it looks good on paper :o) I would be sure to have a helper, empty the shed first, and block the other end of the pallets so's you don't roll the shed into the neighbor's yard :o)

Reply to
Norminn
25 years ago I bought a pole from a mill outside of Sheridan, Oregon. I have also gotten one free from a construction project where they were being removed.
Reply to
Pat

Look in the yellopages and find a FENCE place..a REAL one, not Lowes or HD. They sell turned PTL posts about 4" in dia in various lengths that should work great.

They look like GIANT pencils

Reply to
Rudy

I would imagine "utility poles" would cost several hundred dollars each new. Might get used from your local electric company or telephone company. (Car ran into them or whatever...)

Reply to
Bill

That's the trouble with schools today.

People don't learn anything.