Teflon frying pan

Page 1 of 2
I have owned several non-stick Teflon frying pans and had always taken care not to scratch them or use the dishwasher on them. However, they all eventually stick after a year or so. The pans are otherwise in good shape. Does anyone know of anyway to revitalize the non-stick property of the Teflon coating.
--
Later \'gator

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
Don Lee wrote:

The chemical Zonyl can rub off the liner and get into food. it enters your blood stream. It's in all of us by now and stays in you for up to 4 years. It will soon be labled as a heath risk by the fda. stick with the cast iron skillets.
I think you are mistaking PFOA and the end product. PFOA was used in making the Teflon. Teflon itself is not toxic. PFOA in high dosage is bad in animal testing. EPA is asking companies to not use PFOA because it might be released into the environment.
--
Later \'gator

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
<<Teflon itself is not toxic>>
... unless it gets too hot.
Don't ever let a Teflon frying pan overheat. Releases fumes that can make you sick. Google the phrase "teflon flu". This is for real.
Also, read the warning labels on cans of spray lubricant that contain Teflon. They tell you to wash your hands before smoking. Same reason.
EJ

Good advice. Do not use high heat on the pan. There was a NG thread discussion that vapors from over heated teflon coated pans killed their caged pet birds.

To add to this. Anyone who has a pet bird or keeps birds should not have Teflon pans at all. Burning Teflon is very toxic to birds.
Ether Jones wrote:

Ridiculous. Handle any flammable material and they will state you should wash your hands before smoking. A label like this is akin to warnings of not using a hair dryer in the bath tub.
Teflon is the latest Alar and breast implant scare. Based on junk science, which will destroy more jobs in this country, all in the name of class action lawsuits.
On 27 Jan 2006 17:23:47 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@nf.sympatico.ca wrote:
: :Don Lee wrote: :> I have owned several non-stick Teflon frying pans and had always taken care :> not to scratch them or use the dishwasher on them. However, they all :> eventually stick after a year or so. The pans are otherwise in good shape. :> Does anyone know of anyway to revitalize the non-stick property of the :> Teflon coating. :> -- :> Later 'gator :>
:> remove NOSPAM for email : :The chemical Zonyl can rub off the liner and get into food. it enters :your blood stream. It's in all of us by now and stays in you for up to :4 years. It will soon be labled as a heath risk by the fda. stick with :the cast iron skillets.
I saw part of a TV story the other night on TV national news (ABC?) on teflon and something that stays in your body indefinitely, maybe it was the Zonyl noted above. Fact is I haven't bought a teflon pan for about 2 decades. I don't know the ins and outs but do cook in the oven on teflon or similar and heat up tortillas on a teflon pan. For frying, I use cast iron. The best things about cast iron are it's intrinsic non-sticking properties (although I often use a little olive oil or even non-stick spray for eggs, etc.), and it's heat inertia. By that I mean that a dense layer of cast iron holds a lot of heat and so will not cool down very quickly when you add food, and therefore you don't have to heat it so very continuously to achieve an even cooking surface. The downside is the heaviness, but I don't mind that. Also, they last and last and you just don't have to give a hoot how they look.
Don Lee wrote:

The chemical Zonyl can rub off the liner and get into food. it enters your blood stream. It's in all of us by now and stays in you for up to 4 years. It will soon be labled as a heath risk by the fda. stick with the cast iron skillets.
Don Lee wrote:

Depending on how much and how you are using them, they may just need a good cleaning. If the surface is worn, which happens with Teflon, then there is nothing you can do to make it good.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Hi, Good name brand seems to last longer. Anyhow there is health concern on Teflon.
Tony Hwang wrote:

True and true.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
I cook with Teflon coated pans a lot and the expensive pans seem to end up doing the same as inexpensive pans. Only thing I have found, is to spray them with (Pam, store brand spray) what ever spray you like....wipe them with paper towels and put them away. Then when you want to use them again, take them out, wipe them off again and respray before using. Use moderate heat.
It's not perfect, but if you are careful the food won't stick to them too badly. Clean with sponge's that have the rough side to them and soapy water....and dry them and spray before putting away.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Or just use a good non-Teflon pan and Pam. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
yeah teflon is about to be called a safety hazard by the FDA, old pans may have to go to hazardous waste dumps..........
dont laugh its happened to other products before like benzene and asbestos.
both USED to be common household products
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Actually no, there is a specific chemical that is used during the manufacturing process that will likely be banned.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Humbug, the problem is intermediate chemicals in the production of Teflon. Once it is on the pan, there are no problems.
Yeah benzene is really good for you. I suggest you wash your hands in some benzene once each day and see how long your liver lasts. You can still buy benzene, just not as a consumer product because there are so many stupid people. It's in the same class as not giving children aspirin when they have high fevers.
Stop using them. The Teflon contains a perfluorinated acid known as PFOA which causes cancer. This week, the EPA called for a voluntary halt to it's use. In 4 years, Teflon will be made using another chemical. http://www.mcall.com/news/nationworld/all-a1_teflonjan26,0,2391783.story

DIA, don't you even read your links?! There is no PFOA in the product, it is pollutant associated with the manufacture. You must have used aluminum frying pans too often.