Tear out or just pave over asphalt driveway?

LSMFT wrote in news:HzXAn.34263$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe01.iad:

I can see that.

Try to imagine a tree starved for water that has run off into some faraway river. Then try to imagine a storm pushing that tree on your home.

Reply to
Han

Does the asphalt meet the garage door apron? street? etc? If so, how are they going to put 3 inches of new asphalt on top of it and meet the existing boundaries?

Reply to
trader4

they can just remove the offending areas, but long term its a ineffective fix, as a buddy found out.

he had his driveway skim coated, within 2 years it cracked EVERYWHERE the old surface had cracks.

then he had the entire thing dug up and done properly.

he paid extra to remove both layers of asphalt, more to dump, harder to dig.

properly maintained a asphalt driveway can last a long time.

the one next to the home i grew up in as a kid is over 50 years old, mine here about 25. its not perfect but holding up well

Reply to
hallerb

I can only find reference to it on google groups, but nothing was said about 3". They told me all I needed was a 1" topcoat compressed to

1/2".

mkirsch1

=BF=BDIf so, how

one inch compressed to a half inch?

only good if you preping to sell immediately, enjoy the one year it will look decent....

Reply to
hallerb

Ive noticed on some highway jobs they take up the old asphalt and melt it right back on the highway. I suppose it gets more asphalt added to it. After all, all its made of is asphalt (tar) mixed with stones. This seems like a great idea. We have enough trash to dump in landfills as it is.

Reply to
mycomputer3