Taping and Mudding Vaulted Ceiling

What is the best way to tape and mud the joint between a vertical knee wall and a 45 degree vaulted ceiling to get the straightest and crispest line? The wall runs about 20 feet and the drywall is half inch. Due to the underlying wood framing and the 45 degree angle, the drywall panels on the vaulted side overhang the vertical side by a small amount. Will standard mudding and taping fill the void or should the lip be chamferred off first? I have noticed in other homes that this joint tend to be rounded rather than angular.

Maybe chair rail moulding is the answer. How do you install chair rail between the vertical and 45 degree surfaces?

Reply to
Edge

Go to this site:

Now find the category for: Magic Corner, Expansion Beads

I am a firm believer and user of Trim Tex products.

Reply to
DanG

I like this stuff, but Dan's stuff might be better.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

plaster/compound the wall first let dry snap a BLUE chalk line LIGHTLY along the edge of the wall and ceiling juncture. plaster/compound ceiling to chalk line

The wall runs about 20 feet and the drywall is half | inch. Due to the underlying wood framing and the 45 degree angle, the | drywall panels on the vaulted side overhang the vertical side by a | small amount. Will standard mudding and taping fill the void or should | the lip be chamferred off first?

no need to chamfer edge fill void with compound and apply mesh over joint spread to smooth mesh let dry apply 2nd coat of compound let dry re snap BLUE chaulk line apply 3rd coat compound

I have noticed in other homes that | this joint tend to be rounded rather than angular.

it was done WRONG amateurs didn't snap chalk line

| | Maybe chair rail moulding is the answer. How do you install chair rail | between the vertical and 45 degree surfaces?

rip the top with a bevel to match the ceiling angle. lay flat on wall and lift to ceiling, caulk as needed.

Reply to
3G