Taking our our trash

Page 2 of 4
On 11/20/2014 12:00 AM, W. eWatson wrote:

A couple ideas come to mind: * Maybe one of the neighbors can do the carts, trade for some thing. * Do you have a riding lawn mower? That could help. * atachment of some kind to the back of your car * Hire neighborhood teens * Write your congressman, and ask for federal aid * Contact local military units, and see if they need exercise and field maneuvers * Buy the pickup you mention, and offer use of it to neighbors, to help with the expense
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/20/2014 8:17 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

To add to thread, I spoke to someone from the UK about what they do.
Like op, I have 2 containers, one for recyclable and one for regular trash.
Friend in UK says they have about 7 different containers to separate the recyclables and different pick-up days.
I'd think the whole island would sink under the weight of all these trash containers ;)
On 11/20/2014 9:02 AM, Frank wrote:

Thanks, needed the laugh. I guess PC, or politically correct, has taken hold in UK.
Good thing they are not Guam, one of our US elected ridicules said that might tip over and sink.
On 11/20/2014 9:18 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I remember when the trash company dropped off the recycle container. It and the other container are pretty large.
I yelled out to them, "Where the fuck am I supposed to put my cars?"
I can fit them in my garage but most have them outside despoiling the landscape.
On 11/20/2014 7:00 PM, Frank wrote:

Did the trash driver have any words of gentle wisdom in reply to your question?
Miss Manners would have worded that a bit more gently, but what the f**k?
On 11/20/2014 5:17 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I really liked the van. I hauled stuff around our property, 3 acres.
On 11/20/2014 12:36 PM, W. eWatson wrote:

Sounds like the van (or similar) is going to the best answer, to replace the van that was working before.
On 11/20/2014 12:00 AM, W. eWatson wrote:

Leave the bins down there and carry out smaller bags to the bin....if carrying a bag that far is a problem, get a folding shopping cart (not the store kind) to roll it down to the bins. Even a child's wagon would work. I have a nifty garden wagon/dumper that would haul heavier stuff but not easy on soft surface.
What ever you do, do not PUSH trash cans....my daughter got a compound fracture of her nose doing that. She was in a hurry to get it out of the driveway so she could pull her car in, the wheels dug in and she fell with the rim of the can cutting across the bridge of her nose. The plastic surgeon dug out pieces of plastic and said she was the third person he had operated on for the same sort of injury.
On 11/20/2014 8:17 AM, Norminn wrote:

My condolences to your daughter.
That said,I'd never have thought of that, and you may have helped a lot of people by writing it to the list.
Maybe the government needs to mandate the companies post a warning sticker "Do not push trash can while sleeping or in bath tub with hair dryer energized".
On 11/20/2014 9:01 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

was due to her hurried agenda. Do we seriously need more government interventions because a few people fail to view the obvious or common sense then fall prey to the consequences?
On 11/20/2014 9:12 AM, Meanie wrote:

By gosh, I think he's got it! It's the American way. Absence of warning sticker is cause for suit.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:12:49 AM UTC-6, SBH wrote:

...and then there is OSHA!
"Avoid pulling when possible. Pushing generally takes less effort than pulling because your body weight is used to assist the exertion. Also, pulling a load often causes carts to run into the shins or ankles."
https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/electricalcontractors/materials/pushing.html )
On 11/20/2014 9:25 AM, BenDarrenBach wrote:

DOH!
On 11/20/2014 9:12 AM, Meanie wrote:

What was obvious was that she had to park her car on a fast, two-lane country road because the jerk trash collector left the barrels in her driveway outside the closed gate. She had huge, heavy barrels and they would probably be difficult to maneuver if she had tried to pull them; she also was a single-mom and hobby farmer with a kid and animals to care for. She is careful.
On 11/20/2014 8:12 AM, Meanie wrote:

This is just Stormie venting his ignorant hatred of his country's government. Folks like him hate the government, but love collecting their government bennies - Social Security, Medicare, disability checks...
On 11/20/2014 4:07 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

I feel so much better, Sigmund. Now, may I go back to telling you about my mother?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/20/2014 9:01 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Her wound was pretty ugly, and came within a hair of her eye....she had a good surgeon and healed up with no complications. She dialed 911 and then thought better of it, wanting to select her own surgeon rather than wind up with whomever was on call in ER....cop came out because she had hung up on 911, and he grilled her to find out whether she had been abused. Didn't even stick around until her MIL arrived to take her to doc.
I've been a nurse and worked on safety committees and never ever heard of such an injury before. She had fluid seeping through dressings after surgery for four or five days, and I worried about spinal fluid from a hidden skull fx. Being a nurse is usually good, but I know the bad stuff to worry about :o)
On 11/20/14, 8:17 AM, Norminn wrote:

I like that, but I'd put the smaller bags in the car and drop them off on my way to the walking track. :)

With our cans, the lid is hinged at the handle. I have to close the lid to push or pull the handle, and the lid covers the rim.
I generally push on a firm surface because posture and control are better. I pull on a lawn to avoid unpleasant surprises, even if not so unpleasant as your daughter experienced.
I used to alternate between pushing and pulling a mower because it was faster than turning around. I read that pulling was unsafe and took it under advisement.
On 11/20/2014 12:00 AM, W. eWatson wrote:

Modified Golf cart Trailer for car Trailer for an ATV Trailer for a bicycle/tricycle Walk Rollerblades/rollerskates
You can use a wagon such as this
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/400x400/118/118522_400x400.jpg
and attach it to almost anything or simply load it with the cans, walk and pull it.
On 11/20/2014 6:06 AM, Meanie wrote:

think I'll see if they fit.