Taking our our trash

...and then there is OSHA!

"Avoid pulling when possible. Pushing generally takes less effort than pulling because your body weight is used to assist the exertion. Also, pulling a load often causes carts to run into the shins or ankles."

BenDarrenBach

DOH!

Reply to
Meanie

Hi, That will be good exercise too I do that every two weeks not generating too much trash or recyclables. Even on -30C cold days. Even if they are full, not that heavy. Some times I can handle two at once. OP must be an elderly senior? I am 74.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Garden trolley carts are sold hereabouts for $100-125. Some are stronger than others. Mine can carry 700 lb. yet rolls easily over grass. One of its uses is to take out garbage (only 300 ft. but unpaved) in winter and summer.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

You can lift a full or half-full trash can to put in the van, but you can't, or don't like to, walk 1500' to roll it to the street?

Learn to like it. You can use the time to admire your property, Get a walk-man to keep you company. If you can enjoy trolling here, you can learn to enjoy the walk.

Reply to
micky

Leave the two big containers "down front", maybe stashed behind a tree or bush, and just haul smaller sacks to it you have occasion to go out. That's what we do.

Anyone else remember daily trash pickups? Not to mention twice daily mail delivery; Saturday too but only once IIRC.

Reply to
dadiOH

Worth a try.

Reply to
W. eWatson

Close.:-)

Reply to
W. eWatson

I have a riding lawnmower, but fitting it would be tricky.

Reply to
W. eWatson

I have complete confidence in your abilities.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Are you off your meds...this doesn't sound like you?

Reply to
BenDarrenBach

In many cases they will not do it for any price - and in some cases cannot (truck too big, trees too low, etc)

Reply to
clare

I'm sure they would balk at the idea. They want them at the pickup location.

Some years ago, when the county started using them, I found the county knew of a mfg who built a rack for the back fender that would carry them. I bought one, but it protruded from the rear, and part of it weighed 40-50 pounds. It was a part that made it necessary to fasten it to the rack whenever it was used. I sent it back to the mfg.

Reply to
W. eWatson

At the pickup point, we are at the bottom of a steep hill. I use it pretty regularly for exercise.

Reply to
W. eWatson

I like the federal idea. :-)

I really liked the van. I hauled stuff around our property, 3 acres.

Reply to
W. eWatson

Sounds like the van (or similar) is going to the best answer, to replace the van that was working before.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's funny!!!! I have one of those wagons. It's really been handy. I think I'll see if they fit.

Reply to
W. eWatson

It looks to as though the two containers will fit in the wagon.

Reply to
W. eWatson

I like that, but I'd put the smaller bags in the car and drop them off on my way to the walking track. :)

With our cans, the lid is hinged at the handle. I have to close the lid to push or pull the handle, and the lid covers the rim.

I generally push on a firm surface because posture and control are better. I pull on a lawn to avoid unpleasant surprises, even if not so unpleasant as your daughter experienced.

I used to alternate between pushing and pulling a mower because it was faster than turning around. I read that pulling was unsafe and took it under advisement.

Reply to
J Burns

Her wound was pretty ugly, and came within a hair of her eye....she had a good surgeon and healed up with no complications. She dialed 911 and then thought better of it, wanting to select her own surgeon rather than wind up with whomever was on call in ER....cop came out because she had hung up on 911, and he grilled her to find out whether she had been abused. Didn't even stick around until her MIL arrived to take her to doc.

I've been a nurse and worked on safety committees and never ever heard of such an injury before. She had fluid seeping through dressings after surgery for four or five days, and I worried about spinal fluid from a hidden skull fx. Being a nurse is usually good, but I know the bad stuff to worry about :o)

Reply to
Norminn